Fly Fishing Forum banner

High Quality Fly Rod Components?

6K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  blindcurvw 
#1 ·
Starting to do more saltwater fly fishing so want to upgrade my slower TFO 9' 4pc 8WT for a much better Sage XI2 9' 4pc 8WT.

Any recommendations for a high quality reel seat to match the blank? I've considered Batson, Strubel, Pacific Bay, Forecast and REC so far...

Thanks

#2 ·
Either a REC RSLL or a Strubel u-18 would be my choice if you want a seat similar to the factory offering. If you want to step it up some a Strubel U -21 titanium seat is real nice.

For a cool look you can take an ALPS triangular reel seat ( AH-12M size) and fit it into the grip. Do a Google search for Alps Triangle real seat. They are available though Batson dealers.

#3 ·
Warren said:
For a cool look you can take an ALPS triangular reel seat ( AH-12M size) and fit it into the grip.
Thanks for recommendations, Triangle real seat has an extremely cool look. The ID is +0.107" over the butt vs. +0.215 or more for the REC and Struble considerations. Maybe too small?

#5 ·
blindcurvw said:
Thanks for recommendations, Triangle real seat has an extremely cool look. The ID is +0.107" over the butt vs. +0.215 or more for the REC and Struble considerations. Maybe too small?

I am not sure what you mean Blindcurvw I just put a Alps on a TFO TiCr-x 9 wt the butt diameter is almost 1/2 inch & I had to space it. I know it will fit on a Xi2. I just built one of those too recently

#7 ·
Warren, Thanks for the pics...
I really do like the look of the triangle reel seat. And, nice work w/ the handle. I like the two toned cork accents.

My concern w/ the ALPS 12M was the ID. I've built 7 rods to date, and other than a light trout rod I've always used graphite arbors to marry reel seat to blank butt. The difference in XI2 butt diameter and ALPS inner diameter is only ~1/10". That's a lot of shaving for graphite arbors and no much material left. Thin graphite might crack/crumble under load of a big saltwater bruiser.

I plan to try some polyurethane arbors at this point.

#8 · (Edited)
OK Blind I have ya now, The standard procedure for that by most rod builders is to use masking tape as a spacer. The epoxy will hold everything in place. Which is what I did in the above picture. once the epoxy is set that seat should never move if I mixed everything right

I moved this post to The Rod Rack where it really belongs.

P.S. I only had to make about a wrap & a half of tape to make things fit right

#9 ·
Flexcoat also sells rell arbors for the same purpose. However, I have never seen or have had masking tape fail...

Hey Warren, is that a current build? What's the specs? I'm working on a 10wt FLO blank.

#10 ·
Santosh,

That is a current build. I just finished wrapping it last night. If the planets come into alignment & the gods are happy with the virgin I sacrificed :hihi: I will epoxy the wraps today:D

Specs: 9 foot 9 wt TFO TiCr-x, Agate strippers & oversize guides #3 is the smallest.

#12 ·
Santosh,
Yes saltwater. Heavy duty striper stick:D The thing is quite the club
Cobalt blue thread, & gold trims. You should see it now that I have a coat of epoxy on the threads. No Color preservative, the translucent blue wraps look good against the metallic blue blank finish. When I am done I will post up a pic.

#15 ·
Blind, I think you will like the ALPS . There are not to many out there right now you will have something different. I know for a fact that it will spruce up a Sage Xi-2 real nice

As promised I said I would post up the the TFO 9 wt when I was done.

Santosh above I said I used Cobalt Blue thread. I lied! I actually used Royal Blue. There is a difference

#22 ·
Getting a slow start as I've been struggling with components and experimenting w/ new techniques. This rod is a gift so am going to put in my very best.

Used my drill press as a lathe and made my first custom fighting butt. I'm pretty thrilled w/ how it turned out. This is just a proto and will now get some nicer cork to work with on the final version.

I'm really impressed with how well the drill press works!!!

#23 ·
Blind,
Now we are cookin' Looks good to me. The good thing about custom rods is..... well....they are custom. What you want is what is you get.

Remember the curse of the craftsman is being in a hurry.

If it takes you all year to finish up, no worries mate! :D

When you get to the next step send another pic.

BTW, The drill press can be the prime mover for all the steps needed to turn rod components even a reel seat if you think it through

#24 ·
Now building two rods....

Sage Xi2 8WT w/ ALPS and guides (TBD)
TFO TiCrX 9WT w/ ALPS and Single Foot TiCH-Blue Guides

Glued and turned the handle for the TFO, here's pic w/ reelseat and handle together.

Small flat spot in taper near top of handle I want to blend out a bit more... Otherwise , I like how it came out.

#25 ·
Rod 1 of 2 Complete... Components in transit for Rod #2

Specs:
TFO TiCrx 9' 9WT
ALPS Triangle Reel Seat Tich/LtGold
Guides: 2 Stripper + 7 SF + Tip - All Tich framed w/ Blue Zirconia inserts
Handle: Custom Two-Tone Full Wells style w/ Fighting Butt
Wrappings: Three Tone Royal Blue & Silver HT Metallic guarding Royal Blue NCP
Finish: Flex Coat (2x) + Permagloss (3x)

#26 ·
Looks like the wraps & finish came out pretty well Blind. One word of caution though, I would make my female ferrule wraps at least 3/4 inch long on any future rods. I have seen some discussion that they are really unnecessary on on SOME blanks, but the consensus among those I have discussed it with suggest that they are indeed a must. I tend to agree. I like your tip section wrap over the gray. Well done

Looks like you have a winner. now go catch some fish:hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.