Fly Fishing Forum banner

John's experiment pays off

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 · (Edited)
I fished the quarry pond near my home yesterday. It was near perfect conditions for largemouths......overcast skies, plenty of bait in the water, and nearly no wind. I hopped into my Hobie Cat and caught at least a dozen bass and some jumbo bluegills on a variety of topwater and subsurface flies, but the one that payed off the best was John Desjardin's "experiment" fly (see the archives). This fly consistently took the larger bass of the day, and I even had a 12 to 15 pound carp scare the bejezus out of me when it followed it to my feet.

Nice work, John. Your experiment passes all tests in this laboratory. :)

#2 ·
Way to go! Too bad the carp didn't inhale:devil:

John sent me a few samples but I haven't tested them out yet. Guess I'd better give them a try!

Q

#3 ·
I'm glad they worked. Those carp are hard to trick though. Its been doing good in my tests too. :D :D

Quentin the ones that Mark has are different than what I sent you. I cut the tail larger for bass & hopefully pickerel. They are about 4" long with a bead head, chenille body, palmered maribou hackle and a weed guard (optional). In the water it looks like a maribou jig with a twister tail attached.

#6 ·
Carp

Forget about those puny bass and go for the Carp! Once you've tied into a big Carp, you as well as Mr. Carp will be hooked.
Golden Bones, as they are sometime refed to, are very spooky but they will take a well presented nymph such as a prince, pt, birds nest etc. If there is an algie bloom, watch for them to be feeding on the algie. You will see their mouths break the surface as they cruse just below. Throw them a crud fly which is just green marabou wrapped onto the hook shank. Doesn't need to be fancy or pretty, you can palmer it of just tie it on matuka style, they don't care. Throw it out in front of him and give a little strip, just enough to get his attention. Just remember, prey does not move towards the predator. Algie maybe, but not a real live critter like a nymph or crawdad. Contrary to popular belief, Carp are not strictly vegetarians. They will eat anything that provides calories. That includes meat as well as veggies, like nymphs, crustations, small minnows, algie, plant goodies falling off of streamside trees and bushes, like black berries. Read "Carp on the Fly". It will open up a whole new world. And what the hell, as long as it's c & r, what difference does it make.

JD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.