Fly Fishing Forum banner

Single foot vs snake guides on fly rod

12K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Tony Scott 
#1 ·
I own factory rods with both single foot guides (GLX) and snakes (Winston. etc). Haven't seen durability issues with either.
Now I am going to build my first rod(s).
My inclination is to go with REC recoil single foot for less winding, epoxy and weight.
Other than personal pref and aesthetics are there any other reasons to use one over the other?
Also, it was suggested to me to use a Fuji Ti frame and Sic ring tip-top. Other than looking funny, any other issue?
Thanks
Herb

#2 ·
Herb,

I prefer to use double foot snakes on my 2-handers because they offer a bit more room within the guide than single foot snakes or single foot ceramics. However, there is entirely no reason why you or anyone else should not use the guides you wish on your rod when building a rod or having it built for you by a custom builder. The guides you mentioned work fine.

#3 ·
Single foot vs snakes

The choice of guide styles should not matter in the construction. I prefer snakes especially on the heavier wt rods. IMHO they are more durable and I prefer the traditional look. I have used the REC recoil snakes on a few rods and for me they were difficult to work with. The quality of "memory" inherent in the recoils seem to make it difficult to bend the feet to conform to the blank. When you bend them they return to the original position. Another issue I have with the REC strippers is noise, they sing when shooting line. The line causes the guide to vibrate which I think steals energy from the cast. This loss may be insignificant and I may be splitting hairs but nonetheless I find it annoying. One last note, if you choose to use the REC singles do not dress them with a Dremel, the feet are soldered ( at least the ones I have used)and the heat generated may break the joint. Hand dress them. All the above are my experiences, a lot of other builders use them and love them. Enjoy the project whatever you choose.
Greg

#5 ·
While it's true that there is extra winding and weight with the snakes you will be able to line them up straighter than the single foot. There is also the fact that the load is distributed over more surface area where the contact the blank. One other thing to consider is the action - that extra weight & load distribution is going to give a slightly different action. If you like the action of a factory rod say a Sage xxxxx and it has snakes you may find you get a slightly different feel if you use single feet. That said - I built my first with singles and the next with snakes - I like the snakes.

#6 ·
Very Interesting - thanks to all.

The thought of "singing" guides do not thrill me.

I'm buying blanks from Dan Craft and CTS so I am not trying to duplicate a particular feel or action. I just thought it would be a good thing to have the blanks as unencumbered as possible.

On the other end of the spectrum - I was also considering Fuji Ti frames with SiC rings right down the line. But rod makers are telling me I really do nto want to get involved with guides with rings that will eventually pop out.

I have some time to think on it because I do not have all the components yet.

I'm going with REC seats.
Removable fighting butts (turned by me) with REC's fighting butt hardware.
Blanks are:
CTS 9wt 4pc Maxim
Dan Craft 8' 9" 3pc 6wt Sig V
DC 9' 3pc 9wt Sig V
DC 9' 4pc 9wt FT
DC 9' 4pc 7wt FT

The guide choice is really playing with my head.

Herb

#7 ·
Single foot vs snakes

The Dan Craft FTs are pretty nice I built 4 of them all 10' . (2) 4ts and (2) 10 wts. Used REC snakes on one of the 4wt with Fuji Titanium strippers and H&H snakes &strippers on the other. I didn't find any noticeable difference between the two rods. Ask Dan about the REC strippers he will confirm the noise issue. I was at the Salmon river clave last OCT and was fishing with someone using a LOOMIS 2hander with REC strippers. I could tell how much line he was shooting by the noise.
GREG

#9 ·
single foot ceramics

Hey Herb,

Nice selection of blanks you are building on....

Very interested in the CTS blanks, but they were a bit pricey to take a flyer on without ever having seen them...

I have built on the Dan Craft FT blanks. I have built them all up with ceramic ringed guides from top to bottom. I have been using either the American Tackle Titan guides, or Fuji guides (not the titaniums, the all black ones)

I had used single foot wire guides previously, and prefer the casting with all ceramic guides, including on two rods (not Dan Craft) that I rewrapped from wire to ceramic.

I haven't had any more issue with aligning the single foots than snakes, I like the look of the ceramics, and I like the performance as well. I have not had any issue with rings popping out at all.

I do use the Forhan locking wrap on the ceramic single foot guides.

More than one way to build a rod, and I'm sure whatever you pick will work great.

mark

#10 ·
Mark,
I attached both Fuji Ti Si SF and REC SF recoil on Dan Craft Sig V 6wt and the rod just lost too much of its crispness to keep them on. It is much better with the REC. However, I tried the Fuji on the 9wt FT and I think it will be fine. The CTS blank seems to be a little too moderate action to use the Fuji's also.
Herb

#11 ·
Single Foot Insert Guides on a 7 Weight FT

Mark -

I am building a 7 weight Dan Craft FT. If I wanted to use the AmTack pressed ring single foot guides all the way up, should I use 7mm or 8mm running guides? I prefer a bigger opening, but am concerned that 8mm might dampen the action of the tip.

Thanks,

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.