Fly Fishing Forum banner

The river Camel, England

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
Anyone wishing to fish for Salmon and Sea Trout in England (especially later in the year) may wish to check out the following Cornish River:- http://www.breac.demon.co.uk/flyfish/camel

tight lines,

#2 ·
Steve it was such a pleasure to view the images from England's salmon fishery. You are lucky to be in the center of such heritage and surroundings. I hope on my next visit we can do more than talk about software - I'll bring the travel rod in the suitcase!

#3 ·
Steve,

I am interested in how you fish the Camel. The pictures were
fascinating and the beautiful pools all looked like they posed certain challenges. What size and type rod do you use? What are you using for flies or lures? You mentioned bait, how do you fish that section of the river?
Do you know if the proprietors of the cottage have e-mail by any chance?
Very interesting site.

Jay

#4 ·
Jay,

Thanks for interest - I am glad you liked the Camel. It is a lovely small river with great pools - I am no expert, rather my friend Dave Neal is. Because of the "geography" of the water, fly fishing is not practicle. For this and other similar rivers in Cornwall, it is not really traditional either because of this impracticality.
Methods are worm, spinning, and shrimp on light spinning rods (8-10ft) - sometimes you need up tp 15lb line in fast current to stop the fish tearing off from the pool. I use white flourescent Stren line, so as you can see it (and its movement when worming).
Some fly-fishers poo-poo this type of fishing - but I have caught most my Salmon on fly, and although it is probably most pleasureable, these other forms of fishing I am refering to, are equally skilful if done right - especially worming.
The idea is, two or three lob worms are put on a hook of around size 4 - 6 (depending upon the pattern, clarity of water etc). You then use as light a lead-free shot or ledger-weight as possible that gets your worms down, yet still allows it to "swing around" through the likely spots. When a fish takes, you let him take the worms into its mouth for 30 seconds. They are "feeling", not eating the worm. Striking earlier result in the hook being pulled out of the mouth 90% of the time.
Shrimping is done similarly, except that shrimping-pins are used to mount them (dies rfed is usually the best colour). You "paternoster" a weight, again heavy enough to let it swing around the current and bounce on the bottom, without getting stuck.
I watch Dave Neal with amazement sometimes, when I see him cast worms 20 yards the other side of weed beds, and see him "work" the worms down the current without getting them stuck!
The proprietors do not have email - they are good old fashioned farmers! A friend once told me, when I was trying to get some free rough-shooting on a Farmer's land "Don't go up to a farmer and ask for something. Spend time chatting with him first - then ask him".

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.