Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beaver lodge question

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
One of my favorite warm water ponds is inhabited by a beaver who, has built his lodge on the shore. Yesterday I fished there and found that the expanded lodge is sticking into the road circling the pond. Having angered beavers many times while wading I tend to give them a wide berth, the location of this lodge makes it difficult to keep more than a few feet, and I'm not comfortable with that.

So how much distance do you keep between yourself and a beaver lodge?

#2 ·
Never had a problem myself they seem to be very wary and as soon as they see me they are hightailing it.

To get into a remote lake in Northern Wisconsin wilderness area we had to go through a small channel through a swamp. At the head of the channel was a LARGE beaver house and their dam, which we had to drag the 16 foot lund over to continue through the swamp to the hidden lake.

Never had a problem, nor saw these beavers. They are nocturnal for the most part.

I am not afraid of them, water snakes are a different story.

Almost stepped on a huge one once on the Willwomuc while trout fishing years ago. Still remember that vision and my abrupt 180 degree turn around that big fellow.

My .02 cents

#3 ·
Thanks Hal, I agree with you that beavers in general are a very placid animal. The past couple of years have seen an explosion in their population in Massachussetts due to a ballot initiative that passed to "Ban Cruel Traps" among other things.

Since then I have had several experiences on rivers where a beaver will swim through the pool your fishing, then turn around and come back through 5 feet closer. After the third or fourth pass through I normally leave the beaver his pool.
On the snakes I agree with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.