Fly Fishing Forum banner

Substitutes – Some new and interesting stuff.

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  24-7 
#1 ·
With the increasing popularity of classic and artistic Salmon flies, the rare materials used to make them have been becoming more difficult to find and more expensive to purchase. Not to mention the ethical implications of using materials obtained from rare or endangered species. These factors have combined to create a new market for good substitutes for these materials. And innovative suppliers have come up with some great ideas for these substitutes. At some of the recent fly fishing shows this winter I had a chance to obtain some interesting ones.

Below are some examples of Florican Bustard substitutes. From left to right – real Florican, dyed white turkey tail substitue and dyed peacock wing quill substitute.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am currently tying with these substitutes. They were purchased from a non-sponsor shop overseas and were also available during the last Fly Fishing Show circuit. An effective dyeing process transforms these symetrical gobbler tails into material that allows anyone access to quality alternatives to the expensive, hard to get original feathers. Probably environmentally responsible to boot. I spoke with one of our sponsors last week and he is working on bringing these products to his shop as we speak. Good news for all tyers.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.