Fly Fishing Forum banner

Stripping basket idea

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Slinger 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not a big fan of stripping baskets, but recent adventures with my little tunny intermediate line have left me wanting one. I did without one fine in the Bahamas going for bones, but fishing off rock piles and in the surf in NE hasn't worked out as well. This is for strictly saltwater angling, primarily for blues/albies/stripers.

I don't really like the idea of having the big stripping basket in front of me like a dish tub, so I wanted to create one that just fits on one leg. Has anybody seen anything like this? I'm envisioning a container about 12-15" long and with an 8" diameter that I can hang from my belt with one strap, and attach to my thigh with another strap to keep it from swinging around. I'll attach a few cones to the bottom to keep the line from tangling, and something to the top to flare the lip (except where it contacts my leg) so the line goes into it easier.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I've seen what you've described in a few of the bigger named catalogs, but they really haven't caught on yet in popularity.

I think the real advantage of having the basket at waist height and in front of you is the added distance when casting. If the line is coiled in the bottom of a basket and off to the side, a great deal of the forward cast's energy will be used up just lifting the line from that lower location.

#3 ·
The ability to wade to the waist is important in a majority of situations in striper country, something to consider.

Why don't you describe some of the core reasons why you found it undesireable on the rocks? I am designing a new basket for the FF market and your input is interesting.

#4 ·
Dble Haul said:
I've seen what you've described in a few of the bigger named catalogs, but they really haven't caught on yet in popularity.

I think the real advantage of having the basket at waist height and in front of you is the added distance when casting. If the line is coiled in the bottom of a basket and off to the side, a great deal of the forward cast's energy will be used up just lifting the line from that lower location.
Mark,

I have been using a Fly Line Tamer on the boat which is about 2.5-3 feet deep. Haven't felt the pulling up of the line to be an issue in casting distance at all. Not to mention the benefit of being able to throw the rod in and motor at 40knts to the next location without having to reel up. If you consider the line is travelling 80 ft for a good caster that extra foot its travelling out of the basket doesn't seem like much of a hindrance. To me the biggest hindrance of a basket attached to my leg would be mobility. I just swing the old orvis version to the side.

Sean

#5 ·
I've been using a home made fly line tamer in the boat and like Sean says being able to toss the rod in the bucket is great especially if you're driving the boat.
There are definite advantages to stripping into the basket that sits lower as opposed to the belly bucket. Longer strips to immitate larger baitfish and working popers. I also find it to be a little easier on the elbow.

#6 ·
Fly tamer seems like the cats meow on a boat.

When wading though, I guess there are two modes - wading well above or out of the water (rocks for instance) and wading in the water (flats, beach, etc).

Unfortunately the shore angler's day usually entails both instead of one vs the other. Therefore I usually advise folks to hold the rod butt up around the armpit or out and away to lengthen the strip length, tip to the water.

I like the palm-up grip with the heel of the rod hand up near the breast (elbow bent) with the rod angled down to the water. This gives a very long strip path and a good position to set the hook.

Or one might hold the rod under the armpit for fast strips with two hands. Less often one might hold the rod low near the basket for short strips. But I see how a basket with a long strip gap could be nice to have when not wading deep or on a boat (without a fly tamer).

What else do you like/dislike about the baskets you use?

#7 ·
My plan when I get out east next week is to always have Juro around carrying a fly tamer on his back so when I am fishing jetties and such I will just use it and also have a convenient place to store my fly rod in on those long death marches :chuckle:

Otherwise I will use my cheap llbean basket. Wish it was lighter...

-sean

#8 ·
Might as well after the first few keepers I get bored and have nothing better to do anyway :smokin:

Sounds like just another workin day to me (J/K) ;) ;)

The Bean basket at half the Orvis price is a good deal.

The slots for the rod a great and the kidney shape is an improvement over the dishpan. Again the price rocks and it's a Godsend for those who were facing the big pricetag dilemma - rubbermaid or Orvis? The belt loosens and tightens easily.

It's stiffness is a problem for me when bending down to get the line off my feet in the surf, and it does not fare well under windy conditions. It's size and shape can be dangerous for walking on rocks unless moved out of the way to one side and loosening the belt. Once loosened to do this, the hard nylon belt lets the basket sag, so when it is brought back around it has to be tightened again. Luckily the belt is designed to easily tighten and loosen. However it could use a better belt with slight elasticity.

It can't handle two-handed casting lengths of running line well enough for most conditions out on the surf, the main reason I am bothering with a new basket for the market.

#9 ·
things that bother me most about the less-than-ingenious solutions out there are:

>>wind effect on line...there's gotta be a better way

>>tangle prevention...ditto

>>stupid belt never stays tight...that, or i'm getting fatter. scratch that, it's probably the latter. no seriously, why can't we manufacture a belt that remains at the length you set it?

>>a little clunky, although i haven't found it that objectionable. in fact, i find the hard variety better than the collapsable, so i guess i'd need to experience something better before i'd count this as a fourth demerit.

i guess that's it.

>>wait...coming full circle...how about general lack of slickness/ingenuity. it's a friggin' $50 piece of tupperware for pete's sake!?

#10 ·
I have tested a combined net/stripping basket combination. The really main advantages were the ability to see through the net (yes – indeed :) ), and the net/basket having much less weight than my ordinary Orvis basket.

So for an improvement I would go for a see-trough bottom of basket, and reduction in mass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.