Fly Fishing Forum banner

LABOR Day Weekend

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Got the green light from the wife to head back to the cape Labor Day Weekend. It'll be only my second chance to get down and experience this type of flyfishing. I'll be heading out late Friday afternoon for a few days of fishing. I've got the whole week off so no need to hurry home. Who's gonna be around Saturday, Sunday, Monday maybe even Tuesday? Sounded like a crew is meeting at Chatham Light on Saturday morning, mind if I get in?. I figure I'll set up the tent somewhere Saturday afternoon and catch up with whoever is around for the weekend. Maybe a rip rider or something if that is the concensus. Let me know what's up.
Chris 8)

Hey Darryl, what are you doing this weekend? drop me a note on the side. NO EXCUSES.

#2 ·
My father's visiting from "striper land" (Jersey) :) and I'd certainly like to correct that perception so we'll be heading down Cape next weekend as well. Haven't decided on a day but with 3 to choose from I figured I'd let weather/tides choose. Although the traffic back on Monday night is traditionally brutal.

#6 ·
I'm IN
Arrive later on Friday PM and will not have time to pick up a "stripping" basket.
All I need is one of the "WallMart specials" and I can cut it to fit.
John. I plan to meet up with you at the light , around 4:30AM?.
If it's possible for you to do so, could you pick up a basket for me? and confirm "gathering time".
I will sing.... along Chatham road.... as promised

#7 ·
Just reserved a tent site at the closest place I could find, Scussett Beach State Res.. 0430 at Chatham Light seems to be the concensus. Anyone else want to chime in. I've never done rip rider/ monomoy only the beach at the light at the spring clave so we'll need some guidance. Ian is pumped. Let's fish!!!

#8 ·
Striblue (StrideRight/IronMan!)...Do you suppose your "StriperThumb" will have healed by this weekend?!
I've heard there may be some fish in the neighborhood so I'll be doing the RipRider Saturday/Sunday...
'Went to Nauset the wet way...looks very promising! Talktoyoulater!

#9 ·
FrenchCreek (08-27-2001 08:54 p.m.):
I'm IN
Arrive later on Friday PM and will not have time to pick up a "stripping" basket.
If it's possible for you to do so, could you pick up a basket for me? and confirm "gathering time".

Pete -

You're all set, I have three spares. I'll make sure you get one and I look forward to your arrival!

Juro

#10 ·
Chris (08-27-2001 10:16 p.m.):
Just reserved a tent site at the closest place I could find, Scussett Beach State Res.. 0430 at Chatham Light seems to be the concensus. Anyone else want to chime in. I've never done rip rider/ monomoy only the beach at the light at the spring clave so we'll need some guidance. Ian is pumped. Let's fish!!!
Chris - thanks again for taking the unsolicited initiative to make the spring clave stickers many of us have on our windows. It was a pleasure having you at Spring Clave and I am really glad to hear that your son is feeling well and pumped up for this weekend.

Please consider me your area guide for whatever time I can get away. Right now I hope we can get you something closer than Scusset, if it's where I think it is... on the east end of the Canal (?)

Tell Ian I stink at spin fishing but I know where fish hang out ;) I also hope he will accept a fly casting lesson, if interested.

Looking forward to it!

#11 ·
I do believe that the entire Doogue posse (Mike, Jim, Mark) will be out and about on Saturday. We would be game for some action at the light in the early AM on Saturday and then perhaps an early shuttle to either South Beach or North Monomoy.

With a 7:30 low on Saturday morning I am not sure if the early shuttle makes complete sense unless we decide to go sight fishing on North Monomoy. Then it makes good sense. Anyway, any interest in the early shuttle?

Thanks,

Mike

#12 ·
Chatham inside will have a 7:30 low, Stage harbor a 5:55 low. I think if you want to fish the North Monomoy flats, ideally you would be out there about 6:00. Might be a moot point for Saturday - sounds like the weather may not cooperate for sight fishing.

Fred A.

#13 ·
TinMan (08-26-2001 07:45 a.m.):
My father's visiting from "striper land" (Jersey) :) and I'd certainly like to correct that perception so we'll be heading down Cape next weekend as well. Haven't decided on a day but with 3 to choose from I figured I'd let weather/tides choose. Although the traffic back on Monday night is traditionally brutal.
Given a choice, driving back on Monday wouldn't be the one for me (you got that right!). Tides are good for AM low tide fisheries: Brewster Flats, Chatham Inlet, Monomoy / South Beach, etc. Mid-day floods may wreak some peabunker carnage on Nauset and the back beaches. Afternoon outgoing flows may bring hardtails to inlets on the soundside.

#14 ·
All sounds good.. Pete, it looks like Juro has you covered.. I have a spare also and will bring it just in case... I will probably head down late Friday also... but the tides are perfect for the light Saturday morning... I hope there's fog... We can spend some quality fishing at this rip I know. Other holes also close to each other... forget The Point. I'm with the group for the shuttle at 8, but if sight fishing is not in the plan I will make a bee line for South Beach by way of Rip rider. Pete, how does that sound.. promise me you will stop annoying me on the beach with that grin ;)

#15 ·
FredA (08-28-2001 07:59 a.m.):
Chatham inside will have a 7:30 low, Stage harbor a 5:55 low. I think if you want to fish the North Monomoy flats, ideally you would be out there about 6:00. Might be a moot point for Saturday - sounds like the weather may not cooperate for sight fishing.

Fred A.
Not sure what the venue will be at this point, hope the weather cooperates. I've got 6:33a low at Stage, making the turn in certain channels on the west flats around 7 something. Any early bird shuttle will do the trick just fine and the real push doesn't come until about 10am anyway(same swing Sunday as next weekend) although I love the first few that trickle in. Skies are another issue entirely though. Given bad weather I would opt for something other than sight fishing of course; South beach or the back beaches come to mind. If the forecast holds true then Sunday would be the flats day.

If things work out a bonehunt might be in the cards.

#16 ·
Chris, as far as tent sites did you try Shawmee Crowell state campground? I personally have never camped there but hear they are by far better than the 'desert' like sites at scussett and it would put you on the cape side of the canal. If you want to fish the canal you would be close to there too. Other campgrounds you could call would be Maurices in Wellfleet or Atlantic Oaks in Eastham. Good luck and hope to get out fishing myself soon.

#17 ·
(thanks Jeff!)

Chris - still working on accomodations for you and Ian, meanwhile here are some more campground contacts that are in the right part of the cape...

Shady Knoll Campground (very close!)
1709 Route 6A
Brewster, MA 02631
Voice: 508-896-3002
Fax: 508-896-1771

Description: Shaded sites for tents or RVs. Free showers, fireplaces, hookups, playground, store, laundry, gameroom, lounge. Only one mile to the beach. See us at www.capecamping.com

Roland C. Nickerson State Park (best choice but walk-in)

Brewster, Massachusetts
(508 896-3491
Highway 6A, Take exit 12 off highway 6 and go 3 miles west on 6A.
420 sites, no hookups, dumping station, water only available during the summer, tent campers welcome, hiking trails, swimming in freshwater ponds, equestrian trails, ranger lead programs, wooded sites. This is one of the nicest state parks in the country, open year round, call for facilities during the off season.

Sweetwater Forest (also close, never been there)
Brewster, Massachusetts
(508 896-3773
Massachusetts Route 124, Take exit 10 off of US Highway 6, turn north on MA 124 and go about 3 miles.
250 sites, 72 with full hookups, 113 with water and electric, 64 no hookups, tent campers welcome, recreation hall, video arcade, lake swimming, boating, canoe rentals, fishing, hiking, horseback riding

Maurice’s Campground
80 Route Six, Unit 1
Wellfleet, MA 02667
Voice: (508 349-2029
Fax: 508-349-6704
E-mail: stay@mauricescampground.com

Description: : Family camping in pinegrove for tents, trailers, & RV's. Market, deli, lobsters, playground, horseshoes, shuffleboard. Direct access to bike trail, near ocean and bay beaches.

#19 ·
Thanks all,
Juro I replied to your other e-mail before I read this string further. Thanks for everything. All I need now are times and places to meet Perhaps A mass rendevous is in order and then we can sort out the particulars from there. We don't have any desire to fish the canal, Just booked scussett because it was the only vacancies I could find on line that were even resonably close. I'll pick up a detailed map today a scope out some of the other spots folks suggested.

Watch for Ian now and again he'll be contributing to some conversations. His handle is striper551 has be since we went on line when he was 6 if that tells you anything.
Again thanks, Chris and Ian.

#20 ·
Ian would love for you to show him some casting techniques. Probably wouln't hurt me either. He's been flyfishing for trout for quite a while but at least he won't start out with my bad double hauling habits if you get to him first.
got to get back to work, Chris

#21 ·
Chris -

Sweetwater has a spot with elec / water open (no problem pitching a tent there) for $30/night, right off 6a in Brewster! A little pricey for a site, but beats the heck out of a hotel room! (plus you get to bring the tv }> )

Give 'em a call if you are interested!

Sweetwater Forest
Brewster, Massachusetts
508 896-3773
Massachusetts Route 124, Take exit 10 off of US Highway 6, turn north on MA 124 and go about 3 miles.
250 sites, 72 with full hookups, 113 with water and electric, 64 no hookups, tent campers welcome, recreation hall, video arcade, lake swimming, boating, canoe rentals, fishing, hiking, horseback riding

#26 ·
FrenchCreek (08-27-2001 08:54 p.m.):
I'm IN
I should be good to get you at the Edgewater - although we would need to work out return times, I may need to return early for family duties on the holiday weekend.

In any case, I can get you to Chatham on Sat AM Pete!

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.