Fly Fishing Forum banner

newb question

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I'm looking for new gear setup I live close to rivers with trout and lakes with trout as well as warm water lakes with bass and stuff. I plan on fishing all over and am looking for something that will work for what ever. I dont want to spend a fortune but I am willing to spend more to get what I want/need. thanks in advance

#2 ·
Welcome

Olkeller, Good to have you on the Forum!
A guy can get set up these days with a very good system for a very reasonable price. As we have discussed here before, a first step might be a visit to your local Flyshop. They will always have "Demo" equipment that a guy can tryout so you can get a feel for the system you might want to use. And while your there you can ask questions about Lines, Flys for your local area, Spots that you might visit, etc.
Another good thing is on-line shoping. Just punch in flyfishing equipment on your favorite search engine to get dialed in.
Hope this helps

Deerhawk

#3 ·
Your best bet will be a 5 or 6 weight in 8'6 or 9' length. If you're only going to be fishing rivers or larger bodies of water for trout, and not any small streams, then go with the 9' for sure.

#4 · (Edited)
I always recommend a 8 1/2 or 9 ft 6 weight rod, as well. Maybe go with the shorter if you think you'll be bushwacking allot. St. Croix makes nice rods that are affordable. I own a couple of them and they take the abuse well. Reels are not as important until you go after the bigun's. Save your money for the rod, for now. You can get a good enough reel for $50-60... Scientific angler or even a Cabela's in that price range. Line is good to spend on too. I like Cortland 444 stuff personally.

I agree with the previous poster, go in a fly shop and tell them your budget. They should be super helpful. If you get 'tude to the noob... find another. No reason for that nonsense but I've seen it.

#5 ·
olkeller,

The first thing you (or anyone for that matter) ought to do when deciding on a fly rod is start with the AFTMA line weight that will cast the flies you are expecting to fish. Then pick a rod that is rated to cast that line.

That said, since you mentioned fishing for trout and bass (largemouth I assume that will run up to 5#'s or so), it makes picking just one rod a little tricky because the bushy and rather air resistent bass bugs are difficult to cast on lighter line rods typically used for trout.

Now that I said that, don't dispair because you can get one rod that will work for both, just keep in mind that it won't be the best for either. A 5 wt doesn't really have the backbone to cast bass bugs very well. Before I get beat up by experienced fly fishers, I have to say it is possible for a good caster to cast bass bugs with a 5 wt, but since you are not an expert, experienced caster, avoid the 5 wt. A 6 wt has enough backbone to cast bass bugs up to about #6 in size, which will work very well on most northern largemouths, while being an excellent rod for all sizes or trout flies. A 7 wt would be very good for tossing the bass bugs, but a bit on the heavy side for most trout flies.

Therefore, I'd recommend a 9'-10' long rod rated for a 6 wt line as the best choice if you are going to spend most of your time chasing trout, which your post appears to imply. A 9'-10' rod will allow you to keep more line off the water and help greatly when fishing lakes, and it is not too long for streams (unless you are planning to fish small, mountain streams that are lined in brush).

#6 ·
we dont have any fly shops here in st. george lots of outdoor stuff the best I seen was a ben Franklin the guy was extremely nice and I think he would be more than willing to help so I will try. I'm also glad that all of you repplied because now I got some info to check this guy with to find out if he wants to help or wants to make money

#8 · (Edited)
I would say for reels that when you start going up to Alaska then start really looking at plunking out for a good reel. Also, keep in mind, my first trip up there I was landing silvers and big 'bows on a $30 Phlueger Medalist! :chuckle: Features to look for nowadays :disc drag, open rim so you can palm the rim for added drag. But you really won't need crazy expensive drag systems in the lower 48 for trout, generally. I feel you can get a darn good reel for way less than $200 these days that will handle even the big,crazy Alaskan rainbows though... but that will be a second and different wt rod/reel combo too. Spend what you can, of course...you won't regret it.

All the advice you've gotten from everyone here is good advice,btw. Everyone has different preferences and WHERE they fish is a big influence on what gear they own.

#9 ·
The old Pfleuger Medalist that was mentioned by griz will work with any trout you may catch. At one time (back in the 50's and 60's), it was considered one of the best reels to use for trout.

The truth is you don't need anything more than a simple click pawl to keep the reel from overrunning for trout or bass. There are plenty of reels that will do exactly what you need from a reel for $35.00-$50.00. And there are several nice casting rod in the 9' 6 wt I recommended on the market for under $100.00. And if you move up to $150.00, there are even more rod choices in the 9' 6 wt size.

I have a suggestion, why not contact one of the fly shops who sponsor this web site, tell them you are a beginner, that you are looking for a rod to fish for trout and largemouth bass, that you have been recommended to look at a 9' 6 wt, and that you don't want to spend more than say $200.00. I'd be very surprised if they would not be able to set you up with a rod, reel, and line that would meet your needs and budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.