Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trying Something New

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ronl 
#1 ·
Hello,

I realize that there isn't much new in the world of Saltwater Fly Tying, but.. what do you think of this? Its hard to get a good digital picture without the colors getting messed up, but you should be able to get the general idea..

The intention of the reflective tape is to mimic the shiny, opaque belly of a silversides and other similar baitfish. Its hard to tell from the picture but the fly is all Kinky Fiber: white, pink and tan, with some Mirage and Sparkle Flash layered in.

What do you think?

I will modify the proportions slightly in my next attempt, making the fly a little longer and slightly more streamlined. I also left too much room for the head, so it looks a little awkward.

-- Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
Tom -

I'll wager that the design as it stands will put a lot of waggle in the retrieve, which is often as important as anything else. I like to tie my pogie flies to create a foil effect, so the hackles really dance behind the turbulence caused by the head. Tadpole like in other words.

I like it, and think it'll work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.