Fly Fishing Forum banner

glass eyes for bass bugs?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I've noticed that the few bass flies that I've purchased from various fly shops seem to have glass eyes glued on them rather than the plastic ones I normally use. I don't know how durable they are but they do seem to look more life-like. Does anyone know where I can purchase these?

CDG

#2 ·
I've seen the epoxy eyes, which seem more realistic than flat plastic eyes or painted eyes, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen glass eyes. What type of plastic eyes are you using?

Q

#6 ·
CDG,

I used to buy them by the hundred at a craft store. I found them in the doll making area where there were many types and sizes of eyes that could be used on flies. I would be surprised if craft stores no longer carried them. In my opinion, fly tyers make a mistake not checking out a craft store every once in a while, there are some very interesting things in them and some real bargains as well.

#7 ·
flytyer said:
CDG,

I used to buy them by the hundred at a craft store. I found them in the doll making area where there were many types and sizes of eyes that could be used on flies. I would be surprised if craft stores no longer carried them. In my opinion, fly tyers make a mistake not checking out a craft store every once in a while, there are some very interesting things in them and some real bargains as well.
They have Peacock Sowrds at a very cheap price, same with Chenille, Eyes, and many more things, Id say go check out Craft stores If you want some things u cant find from say Cabelas, Bass ProsShops, look at a Craft store, ud b amazed at stock and price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.