Fly Fishing Forum banner

What is this called

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I picked these flys up in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I've been using the red one looking for pike when I get a moment or 2 to stop & fish between the snowflakes. Its an interesting & simple design that has a pretty good pulsating action when stripped. So what is it called?

#3 · (Edited)
Unbelievable. Just today I was thinking about a pattern that would look something like an in-line spinner, and I thought that tying a collar of flashabou around a bulky body might do the trick. Those flies look very much like what I had in mind, although it looks like they use unraveled mylar braid rather than flashabou. I'd be tempted to call them a Mepp's fly but I'd be worried about a possible trademark infringement claim :devil:

Q

#4 · (Edited)
John Desjardins said:
...So what is it called?
I'd call it "bound to cath fish". Seriously, I have never seen that pattern, appears to be a variation of a bugger. I would imagine that smaller versions of that pattern would be great on practically any freshwater game species, as well as some of the near-shore marine species such as reds, (sea) trout, and small tarpon. I'll have to tie a few of those up this weekend!:devil:
After what I've been tying recently, the chance to tie something that takes less than 5 minutes per fly is welcome!

#5 ·
Q, Chris I'd put the recipe down as:

Hook: #4 4Xlong streamer hook
Thread: whatever you feel like
Tail: maribou
Body: Chenile to match tail
collar/wing: Holographic mylar tubing tied ~ 1 hook gape longer than hook, then frayed apart.

So far it hasn't caught any fish, but I thought someone here would know the name.

#8 ·
Nrthfk showed me a pattern using the exact same unravelled bodybraid design, it was just deadly on the ocean feeding coho off the Olympic peninsula a couple of autumns ago.

Thanks for the reminder, I will have to apply this technique to bonito / albie patterns this fall.

#10 ·
John,

I've seen this fly design about 8 or 9 years ago. It was used in Alaska for Pacific Salmon. I don't recall the name of it though. It is a very common practice for tyers in Alaska to use mylar tubing that is shredded after tying it in to add flash to a fly. It is very easy to tie it in, and many of the Alaskan patterns are tied or were originated by folks who do not have anything more than basic tying skills.

Dble Haul,

First we have Sinktip telling us about OC's fly called the Bisexual (not to mention the other colorful flies of OC's Sinktip also told us about), now you are naming a fly the Lapdancing Bugger! Perhaps it is a good thing that we wear chest or waist high protection when wading the river.

I can see it now, the Capitol Hill Boys will do a double take when they see the Seattle Times reporting that the Lapdancing Bugger has been the "hot one" lately.

#11 ·
Ahhhh, another 'thread' going down hill.

"First we have Sinktip telling us about OC's fly called the Bisexual (not to mention the other colorful flies of OC's Sinktip also told us about), now you are naming a fly the Lapdancing Bugger! Perhaps it is a good thing that we wear chest or waist high protection when wading the river."

I'd recommend you put on your neopm's when you tie these up; afterall what are chest wader? Just over sized profolacic's (sp?)
:eek:

#13 ·
Flytyer and Fred- Too funny. :hehe:

John and Juro- Not only would this be a good design for bonito and albies, but I think it would be very good for shad as well. The flies resemble shad darts, and the added flash couldn't hurt.

And yes, fishing reports will be here soon enough. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.