Fly Fishing Forum banner

GONE..fishing!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
Today, on a Georgian Bay trib, I witnessed the saddest display of FLOATFISHING I have ever seen.
About 50 floaters were there, of every nationality,race & creed.
A fish seemed to be "ON" every-time I looked around.
The strange thing was..NOT ONE OF THOSE FISH WAS RELEASED!!!
not one..

We all know how low our steelhead stocks are now.
This is all directly related to Over-Harvest by anglers..not droughts or low water or cormorants..our Migratory Rainbow Trout are in dire straits due to too many being KILLED for the dinner table or for their ROE!

Local Angling Associations do most of the Egg- collecting for the hatcheries to re-stock the fishery.
The fact is, we are decimating the "WILD " Steelhead that have been establishing themselves (through natural reproduction) for the past 50 years or so.

Believe it or not, those young wild trout that are only 4 years old & on their maiden voyage to the spawning grounds, are the most important year-class to the fisheries future.
These fish are those "Perfect Eating Sized" fish of 3-5 pounds, that everyone decides to keep.

The M.N.R. has yet to change the possesion limit, therefore all these "Anglers" are legally within their rights to harvest.
But let me ask you this..can anyone in today's angling scene NOT be aware of the damages we have already wrought on our precious resource? Do you really think the supply is endless?
Have you ever considered the fishes life & hardships, just to enable us some sport?

"Stock More" is going to be the first reply to this issue. It won't work..unless you want a bunch of "Cookie-cutter" trout that all look the same in size & weight & fight.
Look at New York, they envy our river systems that have such enormous potential to maintain a wild fishery. The premise is that the Sportsman must respect this resource limit their catch & leave plenty of fish to carry on the natural processes to multiply.
As much as I love to catch these most prized sportfish, I believe they deserve the status given to Atlantic Salmon or Muskellunge! They deserve to be protected & looked at as a major sport fish, not a panfish or living "ROE" dispenser.
Please, this year especially, look into your hearts,to decide what you believe is right for our provincial fishery. Look at the man in the mirror's eyes..it's your children's fishing for the future being gambled away now.
Please get involved to assist these Associations & Ministries that protect & provide for tomorrow.
Contact the M.N.R. to voice your opinion for positive changes..or kiss it all good-bye.
Sincerely, Dan Reid

See less See more
#3 ·
I'/m surprised you're holding up New York as an example. On my trips to the Salmon, I noticed at least 80% of the people are there mostly to pack as many fish as they can into coolers, any which way they can. The only thing that keeps that fishery going is the incredible numbers of smolt released each year.
It was quite a turnoff to see all the meatfishing.

#4 ·
too right

Agree 100% with you Danbo. Too valuable a resource to put on the dinner table and too beautiful a fish to be caught just once.

Josko - the meat packers on the SR will get what they deserve. Those fish are LOADED with myrex (ant poison). There's a blurb about it in the NY game laws book but maybe if they posted it at the entrances to the major pools it would take effect.

#5 ·
NY regulations

There is a move underway in NY to put a one trout limit into effect for all Great Lakes tribs. It will probably occur at the next regulations update - 2004 (although some of us wish it would happen immediately.)

This should help to minimize brown and steelhead mortality.

I don't expect a change on salmon (3). (Let the dummies take 'em home - PCBs and Mirex - if they eat 'em they will probably glow in the dark!)

The move for the one-trout limit is supported by the sportsmen. It will be fought by the local fishing businesses, departments of tourism, and some (not all) of the guides. Their claim is that it will "adversely impact business".

Knowledgeable guides are for the change.

BobK:D

#6 ·
Danbo

We feel your pain. It makes me sick to see that happening. Luckily catch and release has become more popular in michigan the last ten years particularly for wild fish.

Also one of the rivers I fish has large section fly fishing only and no kill on all fish. So I don't see any wild fish being taken when there.

They will learn the hard way when the runs diminish and they all start asking what happened to the steelhead ?

Stay involved with your local TU and other fish conservation clubs and of course the candian fishery management. Its easy to contact most of them now through there web sites and let your concerns be known.

Good luck and don't give up the fight !

PM Out

#7 ·
Thanks for the support guys! I really don't understand why the majority in my home province do not feel the same way? Respect for nature, for each other, for the wild places, for our freedom & most of all for our Creator..this is the truth I try to expound.
I fear what our modern world is capable of..I loathe seeing garbage everywhere I turn or the selfishness of angry, unhappy people who waste our resources so easily.
Peace friends, Dan'l.
P.S. I didn't intend to knock New York states fishery as a comparison..I meant that the many Lake Ontario tribs are dammed so close to the estuaries that there's little room for natural reproduction. I love fishing that state & enjoy fellow anglers I meet astream there.
We all need to be personally involved to start fixing things properly. Happy trouting to you all.

#8 ·
No offense taken....

We all have to pull together to keep the fishery we have. Hopefully, the "one trout" limit (if enacted) in NY will help.

But right now, we have to pull together to fight the zebra/quagga mussel menace - until we get the problem resolved, I'm afraid fishing will suffer BADLY!

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.