Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quick Introduction

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Peguin and I will be sharing the Mod role for this section for the coming year, so I figured I'd introduce myself.

Live in Boston and fish everywhere from the North Shore to South County, RI and into CT. I paddle a bright orange Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit on Top. I've had for about 4 years now and love it for its simplicity. And its a lot of fun when the surf kicks up as well :hehe:.

Hope to keep things interesting in here, and since its heading into spring around these parts, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I've got some pics I need to take of a rod holder I set up a little while ago. But I've got to unwrap my yak from its tarp before that happens!

Nick

#3 ·
Juro,
Can't wait to get my kayak in the water. Its been under ice for far too long. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take it for a paddle even before the spring clave.

Nick

#4 ·
Wow, nice to finally see some action in the yak category.

Thanks for taking the reigns to both Pete and Nick.

I have pics of my rod holder set up if you want to compile different systems. Let me know if you want them.

I'm beginning to wonder what would happen if I hooked a large fish while in my kayak. It's only 24" wide and I'd hate to roll myself over. I'll have to check it out under controlled, shallow conditions first.

#5 ·
It's not the fish that tips you, it's your body motion reacting to the fish - or at least that's been my experience. If you let the fish go without trying to maintain that frontal attack position the yak will eventually come 'round or the fish will. That being said it's possible to tip while fighting a fish depending on the yakker's reaction.

I prefer to get out and fish but sometimes the fish don't cooperate close to shore! :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Mark,
I'll tell you what happens when you hook a big fish in the Yak. I got one 39" a couple years back. You get a ride :eyecrazy:
Seriously, hold the rod parallel to the water and perpendicular to the bow-stern line. Use your legs to swing the boat bow toward the fish and hang on. The only disadvantage is the reel doesn't scream as much when you go into tow mode.

Blues over 8lbs tend to sound and that presents other problems, but stripes are a blast in the yak.

#7 ·
Beware the $500 HIGH-STICK...

How do you get the critter close enough to the boat and not raise the rod into the critical zone...snap/crackle/pop!?
A 7' spin rod is one thing...a 9' RPLXi or GLX is a horse of another colour...

ps
Hi Nick!
You are now in charge of lighting a fire under my lazy Mod buttisimo!
Perhaps some cold water in my face will do the trick?!:whoa:

#8 ·
Landing the bass isn't bad. I hold the rod to the right and land them on the left gunwale. The little rat bass are sometimes a problem just as they are from shore, power packed and prickly fins a many.

Blues - now there's something I'm still not comfortable with. The pungo has a large cockpit and when blues become arial near the kayak I don't like it a bit. A bluefish in the lap is not my idea of a good day on the water. I try to grab them behind the head but often they just break off while I'm fumbling for a handhold. Still lots of fun though.

#9 ·
Pete, don't worry, I'll be right there with a bucket of ice cold whenever you need it.

I snapped my Redington last year before I learned my lesson. I now do similar to Jim and go with the rod on the right, fish on the left. It is tricky though.

Mark, I wouldn't worry too much about getting flipped over. If you're comfortable in the yak in general, you probably have a good feel for the balance points and can counteract any sudden fish moves with some fancy body weight shifting. But keeping the fish off of the bow until the last minute is the best way to go. What I'm trying to learn to do is coax the last fish of the day to head to shore, so I don't have to paddle as much! I think a collection of rod holders is a great idea, as I searched far and wide and finally decided to build.

For that matter, anyone with modifcations, neat upgrades, or innovative tricks, lets hear'em!

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.