Fly Fishing Forum banner

2nd attempt

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  CDG 
#1 ·
Ok, here we go. This is my second attempt. Again i'm looking for some constructive criticism, any and all comments will be taken as such. I apologize for the recent controversies brought on by my first post, that wasn't my intention. If you so desire, please respond to me in private. PM me or my email address is codygunn@hotmail.com

CDG

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You clearly like creating your own patterns which is awesome. I would love to hear what you are trying to achieve and what inspired you along with the pic. For instance, were you trying to lay the married wing over the under wing, or did you intend to create the higher wing for more profile and a broader color palette for the fish?

I'm still practising on solid color goose shoulder feathers. I'm not willing to spend the time to marry the fibers then have my lame mounting skills turn the wing into a paintbrush :D

#4 ·
CDG,

First, this is a nice fly with good proprotions.

The only things I would do differently are: 1) use the next size larger oval tinsel for the body segment ribbings and only make 3 turns of ribbing on each; and 2) lower the main wing or make it about 4 stripes (2 more blue and 2 more black) wider, this would provide a better wing sillouette and allow the kingfisher cheek to sit more on the side of the wing.

#6 · (Edited)
Beautiful.
The speed at which you are progressing is astonishing.

I like the low under wing being separate from the main wing. It brings additional profile to the body in an interesting way. I would keep it a separate and distinct element, related more to the body than the main wing. I would not be too quick about increasing the main wing size, maybe mess around with its position a little. I would not change the tinsel size but would probably reduce it to three turns. I might reduce the amount of wraps on the herl a turn or two and look for herl with slightly shorter fibers to make it more compact. These are not meant as criticism, constructive or otherwise, but are what my eye tells me that I might try if I were developing this pattern. Regarding the cheek. It looks like dyed Amherst or GP tippet. Is that what it is and did you dye it yourself. Also is the cheek actually a cheek on the side or is it laid on top of everything else on the top of the fly?

It is a unique opportunity to be able to watch a creative tier develop both a pattern and his own skills right here. Those of us who value the creative process are certainly appreciative of your posts.

TC

#8 ·
Nice Job!

CDG,

That's a lovely piece o' work - even more so because it's an original pattern. It's well-tied, nicely balanced, shows a keen eye for detail, color and material selection.

Igor

BTW - About the comments you'll recieve? David St. Hubbins once said, "...there's a fine line between clever and stupid."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.