Fly Fishing Forum banner

Top of the line

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I have a friend with entirely too much money who wants to get into saltwater fly fishing. He will head to florida for tarpon and permit with the occasional bone thrown in. I recommended a loomis GLX with an abel reel in a 10 weight. If you had deep pockets and little common sense what would you buy. Thanks

#2 ·
Well, if you put it that way... I don't have deep pockets but I definitely have no common sense when it comes to gear! Your recommendation sounds like a winner although I might look at the RPLXi, Tridents, etc before making a choice. Each has his/her own preferences.

I'll defer to those who have made purchases of this kind already...

#4 ·
If your friend has too much money, he probably doesn't have much time. Never the less, I would recomend casting instruction and practice. If he is just getting into SW flyfishing, I am probably not wrong in assuming that he can't take advantage of the best rods. Having said that, I think that most people could be happy with a Sage rplxi. The Loomis is a little fragile and unforgiving. Come to think of it, I think tht he needs two rods. A #9 and a #11. Can't go wrong with Abel. I like the Super 11. Weighs less than the Tibor Riptide, and holds more line. The Super 8 Is a nice 8-9 weight.
All the top gear is very good. He almost can't go wrong. Yeah...that sounds about right.

#5 ·
I am seling a T&T 12 wt and a Gulfstream outfit. I bought it for my Xmas trip and won't use it again I bet. If he is interested I still have it for sale.

The RPLXi is a good rod to. for a 12wt you want something a little softer so the casting is easier. 10 is too small for tarpon. It would take too long to fight them and it would eventually will spit the hook. A 9 is a good size for Florida bone which run big. If he wants to get into SW don't even both for florida Bones or permit unless he is already a really good flyfisherman. It is so hard. I would focus on tarpon and snook and albies.

#6 ·
Orvis offers a top of the line salt water rods and reels. :)
The Trident fly rod & the Vortex fly real.
The rods are 10 thru 14 weight fly-line.
Your friend could buy a complete set-up or separately.
check out their web site. www.orvis.com
The rods have a 25 year guarantee on them.

have fun
mayflyman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.