Fly Big minnow imitation
Tyger leader wire

AND YES IT WAS A LIVE RELEASE

Jocelin

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
The fish was not measured I estimate around 45 to 50 inch

Here how it goes

Just received my new rod a 11 ft #8 FR Gatti and wanted to test the rods with big flies, we headed out to 2 miles rapid and tried our luck in the pool below the last set of rapids which often holds some 45 + inch pike or even lake trout later in the season.

I put on a pink flasher about a 6 to 8 inch fly made especially for pike fishing. I spotted a dark mass laying in about 3 foot of water and cat past it while retrieving the fly to his right at about 12 inch from him when he saw the fish he moved and followed the fly without hitting it and returning to his resting area. I didn’t wait long to cast a second time at him this time letting the fly splash right in front of him and retrieving the fly at a fast paste and bang he lunged at it and the fight was on. Landed the fish in about 15 minutes with the help in my oldest son.

Took some pics a returned the beauty back where he came from hoping to get him again some day,

#8 ·
Manitou said:
The fish was not measured I estimate around 45 to 50 inch
Is that the same fish in all three pictures? If so, and if that fish truly is 45 to 50 inches, then you'd have to be about 8 or 9 feet tall (I'm going by the release picture). I'm not trying to take away from your catch, but I'm trying to get some perspective on this.

Looks about 36 to 38 inches by the release picture, which is very impressive by any standard. Chunky too.

#9 ·
Dble Haul

I dont know where you get the 36 t0 38

The released fish pics could be the one I am not sure we released around 10 fish that were more than 35 inche in the same spot that day

I will check in my pictures later today and post some more for you to compare my pictures

Jocelin:)

#10 ·
I got 36 to 38 from the third picture. That's why I asked if all three pictures were of the same fish, because the release picture looks shorter and less chunky than the first two. My estimate comes from my own experience, where I have caught many fish of that size.

The fish in the first two pictures looks gargantuan in comparison to the third. I believe that that fish could be an honest 45 inches, no doubt. And unfortunately, I cannot speak from personal experience with pike that size. :eek: :wink:

Good stuff all around. Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.