Fly Fishing Forum banner

fast tip for float tube??????

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all expanding my world of flyfishin have made a great deal on waders boots float tube etc from older gentlemen flyfisher easing up to pontoon boat. have also decided to upgrade flyrod from elcheapo to good and for ever[now that i can cast somewhat] :chuckle: my choices are[all 5wt] G-loomis gl3, Scott a2 or e2 or Sage Launch,FLi or VPS. now if I understand my basic physics I do not have the wader's advanage of body hieght for lifting line form water nor do I have same for the forward cast.

I don't see the forward cast as much of a problem as you can paddle closer to your target so 20 to 40 ft casts but lifting for backcast seems like a tricky thing. so the question would a faster tip/action rod be a better choice or is there a mod to the backcast .... ps which rod mentioned would you pick or differant model from above makers [$450.00cdn /$400.00 us +/- top price] also have Orvis,Powell, and RL Winston rods to choose from at the 2 local shops. tks Eric

#2 ·
When my profile is low to the water (pontoon or kayak), I find that rod length is far more important than rod action. I use a rod that is at least a foot longer than I would use fishing the same area from a wading or stand-up boat fishing position. That being said, I don't think you'd be hurting your cause by using a fast action tip.

#3 ·
Hi Eric, I used to be an avid float tube before I bougt an aluminium bote, and my experience says that you should use the same rod action. All models you described are excellent choices, but consider to get a slightly longer rod. 6 inches plus is a great help to keep the fly high.
Good luck!
Patagonia32

#4 ·
One more thing:

"but lifting for backcast seems like a tricky thing."

Yes, it is. But, concentrating on a high back cast will really help. Start the lift as close to the surface as you can, then throw the line high over your shoulder. It drives me crazy to hear the line slap the water behind me when I drop a back cast too low. Through diligent practice, I've managed to reduce those back splashs a bit.

Double Haul's advice is good as to rod length, but I can still splash the water behind me with a 10'6" rod if I'm not concentrating on getting that back cast high.

Cheers,

Eric

#5 · (Edited)
I do most of my fishing out of a float tube, and I only use an 8' rod. I find the most important thing in a rod is a strong/stiff butt section that continues up to the middle of the rod that will allow you to pick up a lot of line quickly. I usually pick up my line when there's enough out to load the rod right away, then cast it right back out. The fast action for me is much more important in pulling the fly off pads and weeds since when you're in a float tube your leverage is reduced.

With this fishing in mind, I've been eyeing a St Croix Legend as my next float tube rod.

#6 · (Edited)
First time visitor. I am interested in this thread because everyone up here where I live fishes from a float tube with a 9' 5/6 wt rod. I want more distance and heigth. Sooooo I intend to build a 10' 3wt. Along with the other comments in this topic....uh.....should I get a tip action blank? Not stealing your thread sir....it is all along the same subject I think.

Gem

#7 ·
Casting with a 9 ft rod out of a float tube is IMHO not necessarily a problem. Back cast up at an angle of about 45 degrees, starting low. If you cast fast the angle can be lower. Point your rod out to the side at an angle instead of over heading. Longer rod helps if tip action but it's a minimal difference compared to technique, so practice and learn to cast fast (narrow loop). You will find that after a while you will be able to cast 60, 70 ft or more. Mind wind blowing on your casting arm (especially if you are a slow caster) Try to avoid that in the beginning. A 10 ft 3 wt probably will pull your line lower than a 9 ft 5 weight due to the medium action such a rod tends to have. A tip action 10 ft 3 might be of help but it is not a rod you see every day. I am not aware of the other conditions you are fishing in, but it might be so that a 10 ft 5 weight tip-action rod will be more suited and for sure easier to lay hands on.
Have fun.

#8 ·
Gemrod said:
First time visitor. I am interested in this thread because everyone up here where I live fishes from a float tube with a 9' 5/6 wt rod. I want more distance and heigth. Sooooo I intend to build a 10' 3wt.
The gains of having a 10 ft rod are going to be offset by the light action of the 3 weight. If you want more distance, you should go to heavier weights or longer length rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.