Fly Fishing Forum banner

egg patterns

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
I just got some Mcfly foam . I am getting them to come out looking very good at all . Are you supposed to let this stuff spin on the hook ? How big of pieces should I be tying in with ? Fish-head:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Just spin some Glo Bug Oregon Cheese color yarn on a small stout hook (8-10), red thread, optional perhaps a small touch of white or yellow marabou. Puff it out into a fluffy ball by brushing the yarn. Other good colors are peachy king, beige, and fluor. green. But oregon cheese is the go to color most of the time. I saw that foam stuff at my local fly shop last week, but why mess with something you know is successful.

#5 ·
McFly Foam Eggs

McFly Foam eggs are dead easy. Here's what I do:

- I use Danville flat nylon tread - it's very strong and easy to work with.
- I use #4 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks - very strong and sharp.
- Start with three or four wraps of the thread on the hook shank about midway between the hook point and the eye of the hook.
- I use only 2 one inch pieces of foam (about one-quarter of an inch wide) tied on the sides and towards the top of the shank (tied in at the middle of each piece to that you have a one-half inch tags of foam on each side). Tie them in one at a time using two or three wraps.
- When the two piece are tied on, let the thread drop below the shank, then pull back the foam (along the shank, toward the bend) and tie off your thread with a whip finish just in front of the foam. Add a drop of head cement, and the tying part is done.
- Now you have 2 one inch piece of foam on each side of the shank, each with 2 one-half inch tag ends.
- Starting with one piece of foam, hold the 2 tag ends between your thumb and forefinger. Pull them perpendicular to the shaft. Position your scissors parallel to the shaft of the hook and cut off both tag ends in one stroke, cutting one-quarter to one-third of an inch from the shank.
- Repeat with the other piece of foam.
- Fluff with your fingers, and you're done.

Avoid tying foam on the bottom of the shank. This will impede the gap.

I like orange, peach and bubble gum colours for eggs. You can also tie in a few strands of white or chartreuse marabou as a tag end/tail.

After a couple of experimental ties, you should be able to tie these up in a minute or so.

Cheers!

#6 ·
Andy/Hal: couple of other thoughts.

First for Hal: Where do you guys get off calling something "Oregon Cheese?" I thought all the 'cheese-heads' were out your way?:D

Andy, another possible 'tie' is to get Malcom (Willie Gunn) to send you a doz. eggs from Scotland (after all this is "McFly"). A small hole in each end and blow out contents. Touch of candle wax to seal; spray paint appropriate colour. This is the floating pattern.

For a sinker: make one of the holes larger and fill with lead shot.

The "mystery" of either pattern is how you attach the hook. Too hard to explain here so I'll show you when you get home.
:smokin:

#8 ·
Ah, you mid-westerners... what ever shall we do with you?

Strange thing is no one (and I've asked) had ever heard of "Oreeegone Cheese" until you "cheese head" brought it up. Is this "diversion???"

In Canada, we have no "Polish Jokes" too many Poles, so they're all "Nuffie" (New Foundland) jokes. Silly but keeps you out of ...
Well, let your immagination run amuck.
:hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.