Fly Fishing Forum banner

two-handed for bass

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JRod 
#1 ·
Hello All!
This past summer I started using a six-weight two-handed rod to fish for smallmouth, white, and hybrid striped bass. I'm using it on larger rivers, sometimes below dams. I've even caught suckers on occasion.
I was curious to find out if there is anyone else else experimenting with this or am I nuts?:eyecrazy:

#2 ·
Not at all!

In fact there are rivers in New England where the spey casting is very pleasant and the bronzebacks are a real blast. Being such great fighters in the river, they really keep things interesting.

My favorites are the Pemigewasett River and the upper Merrimac near the headwaters. Truth is I am there for the brood atlantic salmon and the scenery in the Coolidge Woods federal reserve, but the smallmouth are what keeps it most interesting.

#3 ·
juro,
Thanks for the reply. Since I purchased the rod I haven't had much time to fish for any chrome with it due to the distance I have to travel to fish for them. I decided to hone my casting by fishing for fish that are closer to home. They aren't quite as exciting as steelhead but they are fun all the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.