Fly Fishing Forum banner

Aaron's woven flies

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
Thought I'd show another fly I finally have down. Been doing alot of practicing, and think I'm sort of proficient. Still not as smooth as Aaron yet. But reason I post this, is I finally had a chance to use this fly this weekend. Caught some smaller fish (15-20" range) and then a 6# steelhead to boot. Was just screwing around using it in the beadhead and no beadhead version to see sink rates on both. Didn't expect to hook into fish that easily with them. Wasn't for a small girl jumping into the slot I was working, would've been probably a better steelhead day (she jumped in just as I beached the 6# steelhead).

Can't remember the name of the fly. Aaron can tell you. But this is my version of fly. Oh yeah, Aaron, will now work on a muddler. Wanted to get it down a bit better before I started trying anything.

Tied up a few different patterns. Going to try them for salmon in a couple weeks.

See less See more
#3 ·
SD, that was one of the highlights of the

last Sandy River Spey 'Clave. On Friday eveing (pouring down rain and we were all under cover (Bless you again! Bob, Laura, Mark and Patty) and he did a session on his 'rock worms.' (Or as I've seen in print "Fred's Fancy." The things REALLY do work well!)

Taped his 'how to,' and another hours or so of the Instructors on Saturday. If you'd like a copy I can make you one/mail same. Cost you about $5 bucks for the tape/stamps. Sorry for 'pricing'the copy, etc., but I've already sent out about 10 copies and 'the Redhead' stated something to the effect of 'enough is enough.'

Interesting what a man will do for ... never mind.
fae

#5 ·
Recipe

Well, mines a bit different from Aaron's I think.

But mine is on a size 2 octopus hook (made by Vision). Ran out of the one's Aaron sells. I put on a large black beadhead. Then, build up the body with thread. I then use a copperish metalic thread that Aaron sells, and a light pink yarn for the underbelly. I weave it towards the front. Then palmer a black hackle. That's about it.

I can send you link on how to make the fly. Just email me if you want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.