Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Gaspe Outfitter?

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Manitou 
#1 ·
I was making preparations for Gaspe 2007 and started to hear some things in the wind, so to speak, that led me to believe there may be a new outfitter in Gaspe for 2007. Has anyone heard anything about who or what this might be or if this is even true? If so, are they in Gaspe proper or farther out.

Mostly I'm a do-it-yourselfer but I usually take a few lodged days to stay clean and fed. I was thinking of spending more time in Gaspe this year, what is the status of all the outfitters there anyway? Who is taking bookings this year for lodging, food, and guiding? Any dropouts I guess is what I'm asking?

-Chris

#2 ·
Chris,

Even if I'm now out of the business of outfitting, I do keep abreast of what is going on here - and from what I know - Quebec Sporting is the newest Outfitter in the town of Gaspe. I am sure Anne will continue to do a great job for visiting anglers next year.

As for 'drop-outs' there are none to my knowledge. I know that Malbaie River Outfitters was rumoured to be shutting its doors, however, I am very sure that this is false. As a matter of fact, from what I hear, Bill seems to have come up with some great water for next year even if he did not participate in the draws on the Gaspe rivers this year. Other rumours are flying around, as they always do, however, I guess we will all just have to sit back and see how everything unfolds.

In our area, the Baie des Chaleurs, things are the same as in the past both Camp Bonaventure and Gaspe Salmon Destinations will continue to offer and deliver great trips to their guests as they always have. The river managers seem to be pretty happy about fish counts last year and the prospects for another good season in 2007. All in all, status-quo.

After such a conterversial spring, summer and early fall, I am glad to see that the dust has settled for the time being, however, I am sure that like each spring, the hight waters will not only bring bright fish to our area but a lot to discuss as well. :eek:

Have a great winter,

Dave

#5 ·
Charming. Very polite. I love your prose so much I read it twice. Absolutely thought provoking. Makes me think. Oh, you're getting such a rise out of me I must reply...

Complete post what? GaspeSalmon sure of what?

So, you're calling BS on me? Must mean that we know each other well enough to have shared experiences? I think I'll just call BS right back at'cha buddy.

I distinctly recall going to Gaspe, stopping at some office on some river, getting a license, going fishing, and catching and releasing some salmon before I ever met any Gaspe outfitter. Oddly enough, with nobody else around.

And yes, I do stay in lodges in the area which was the source of my query.

-Chris

#6 ·
Sun Ztu,

What the - - - NOT???

Wish I had your writing skills. NOT!

Listen Bud, and listen good, a question was asked, a response was posted to try to respond to the question. New outfitter on the Gaspe, I think it is Anne Smith. as far as I know that is the new outfitter... As for rumours of outfitters closing...to my knowledge there are no businesses closing down for next season. And those that were operating in the past are still on track for next year.

You have doubts? You know more than the locals here? If so, then be my guest and enlighten us all and bring forth your years of experience and wisdom.

C'mon pal, show us the way to the light!

Why would you even care? Inquiring minds want to know!

#7 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Guess I will reply to some;
Yes, I did obtain an Outfitter License (Late July 2006).
I guess you are talking about me, I have not heard of an other new Outfitter in this area.

As for the proposed rods on the Gaspé (town of Gaspé) rivers that were to be secured by a certain Outfitter until 2010.
The Gaspé Zec confirmed to me, the deal was canceled. Thus, no secured rods. The deal is OFF. This was confirmed to me this week.

Gaspé Bay is not frozen yet, loaded with Canada Geese!!
I'll beat them to Florida!! :confused:

Happy Holidays to All,

Ann

#8 ·
#11 ·
Ann,

That's fantastic news since I can't wait to come back to Gaspe in 2007 ( a definite).

Anyone up for a Gaspe clave? Small (but intense) group under Ann's care in June? I'd prefer to car pool from Boston area if possible.

Canadian salmon at it's finest!

#13 ·
Gaspe Clave

Juro,

Wilson and I are in the process of trying to put together a clave here in the Cascapedia area for 2007. Nothing huge, just a lot of good people getting together and having fun together.

Will keep you posted. We are also open to suggestions and help in organizing this.

Anne, I am really happy for you and know that you will continue to to a great job.

I must say that ALL the outfitters on the Gaspe Peninsula do a great job offering good fishing to their clients and I hope that the future will be a bit more harmonious for everyone. After all, we all share the same passion!

Deals, no deals, and what the future holds is secondary to the REAL issue, SAVING OUR SALMON!!!

Why don't we all take the same New Years resolution together. CATCH AND RELEASE ALL FISH, big and small!

Have a great winter everyone,

David

#15 ·
i would love to attend and would be happy to bring some gear to play with. if it is just a loose confederacy so be it (lets play), if it gets serious you probably have your first sponsor on board. Charlie- any interest in putting something together? i have no interest or contacts for that matter as far as orginizing goes but would love to be a part of it and see some of that peninsula.

Ann congrats on the license and much success in the future!

#16 ·
I like the idea and have put together a few claves in the past, so I would be willing to help. The first thing we would need to do is determine a date to have the clave. Keep in mind that we probably do not want to have it during the busier part of the salmon fishing season or outfitters and guides would not be able to participate.

Next would be location. We will need a location that is easy to get to and it should be free for all that attend.

Once we have these things out of the way the rest is gravy.

Charlie

#19 ·
a little knowledge,research skills and use of Spell check?

Wilson
Look down the very page you quote and see "Enquire" from French [Enquerre] ,also used by my English Professor at Stowe .Philistine ? One who lacks knowledge in a certain area ? you and the all knowing Gaspe Salmon look to etatssauvage.ca .
See you at the clave
[ quote] Sun-Ztu, get a dictionary or stop doing your reading in the grocery line. It's "an inquiring mind".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inquiring

I have another fancy word for you if you can get past NOT in the dictionary.

P-H-I-L-I-S-T-I-N-E

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/philistine

Out with it or back to Lizard Creek with you.

-Chris[/QUOTE]

#21 ·
Sun Tzu,

I am so appreciative of the title "ALL KNOWING" that you have given me. Kinda suits me, don't cha think! Let's see, with over 1,000 salmon landed, probably more like 2,000 with clients over the years, exactly 31 years of salmon and trout fishing experience here on the Gaspe - 20 of which have to do with working as a biologist, consultant, guide, instructor, marketing expert and outfitter... which leads me to believe that I may just know a thing or two about this area, the people who work within it, and the state of the industry. So I will take your comment as a compliment, although I know you did not intend it to be one.

Your handle Sun Ztu aka Tzu, God of war, which you did not even spell correctly according to Juro, suits you well. Wish I had the amount of time you have to stir up crap about subjects I doubt you have any in depth knowledge of.

Again, thanks for my new title. I think I am going out today to get some stickers made up for myself. Dave "the all knowing" DAMN!! I love the sound of that!

Thanks again,

David " the all knowing guide "

#22 ·
Actually philistine from that reference is:

1. (sometimes initial capital letter) a person who is lacking in or hostile or smugly indifferent to cultural values, intellectual pursuits, aesthetic refinement, etc., or is contentedly commonplace in ideas and tastes.

2. (sometimes initial capital letter) lacking in or hostile to culture.

and not one who "lacks knowledge". Don't know how they define it in Vermont but I was thinking "hostile to cultural values and aesthetic refinement" in the context of your posts.

By the way - You're web site keeps going down. As long as that's the case I guess it will continue to be the best kept secret in Gaspe.

As for all the nice folks who came in on this thread I think a clave wold be fun. I'm sure if we pile the gear together up on that big flat above Petite Saumon we'd make a nice afernoon of it.

-Chris

#23 ·
Clave

Interesthing this clave i would be interested also

But I have a question or two

Where will this conclave be held, if i read all the post and remove the s_ _T stirring post it has 2 option the Grand Cascapedia region with David or the GAspe rivers with Ann

If I recall Ann and David are 3 hours ride from each other location

Where will we stay if its held in David area

If its held in Ann area where will we stay there also (Does Ann have room for all of us)

I guess prime time dates are out of the Question so what dates will be available from both location

Thanks for taking time to answer my Question

Jocelin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.