Fly Fishing Forum banner

Haven't tried a kayak yet . . .

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Wes 
#1 ·
but I've been considering it for some time now. I was thinking about renting one to see how I like it. Can a reasonably well coordinated, experienced rower just hop in and give it a try, or would I be better off taking lessons?

Q

#2 ·
...profound revelation...

Q...
It's sorta' like your first night HALO (high altitude low opening) parachute jump...but different!
You step out'a the door and into the dark...a leap of faith...
Only this time you're in a tupperwear boat and you're hangin' on to a paddle...up-side-down and low on air!
If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger!
Forget the lessons...come to the FarSide (of the Canal)...
Just do it!
Trust me...

#3 ·
Even old folk can do it

I am in my 50's and overweight...Have no problem paddling a Pungo. Just get a life jacket that will not ride up onto your face if you happen to capsize..The Pungo is as stable as a wide canoe.

#6 ·
I hope to try both the "sit on top" and "sit inside" models to see which type I prefer.

Do they make a "stand on top" model that you can push with a pole? I'll take that one!

Q

#7 ·
Hey Quentin

Ant time you want to hook up!

If you get a demo model maybe we can find a lake with loads of overgrown bucketmouths where gas powered craft are not allowed! You can try my SOT (Tarpon). Ask Striblue about the Tribalance - you can stand up in one of those!

#8 ·
There are definitely some good reasons to look at SOT's. This is a Tarpon doing what Tarpons do I guess. I did land a SINK here a few times but only after watching the water carefully for a while each time and picking my moment. If you hook up with Adrian you guys should give me a call. I have 2 kayaks so you can check out a Tarpon and also a more traditional sort of sea kayak if you'd care to.

This is my 16 yr old son doing (blowing) a beach landing in Maine. We got out later in the afternoon and he had a blast following a school of mackeral with me. A couple of somethings very big and fast herding and slashing through them for close to 2 hrs provided great entertainment.

Attachments

#11 ·
Yeah, had the camera out, we'd been practising beach launches and landings for a while. I'm sure the sight of the camera contributed to that crash, usual 16 yr old mentality. The only casualty was a slight bash in the shins I got retrieving the boat after it squirted away from him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.