Fly Fishing Forum banner

what do I hear!?!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
:whoa: word is that ORVIS is going into ...WALMART.
No Freaking Way!...way?
Levis had to move all there production off shore just to play that game. I hope this isn't the end of a great brand.

#2 ·
It will be very interesting to see just what happens.

I believe Orvis is trying to avoid the possible backlash by going into Walmart with a seperate label.

The logo states Green Mountain and then in much smaller letters it reads "By Orvis"

#4 ·
I just caught a steelhead on a 'Green Mountain by Orvis' reel. Nice sealed drag, smooth, machined reel for less than $100. Made in Korea, though.
Very impressive drag and overall fit and finish. I would have guessed it to be a ~$300 reel before being told what it was.

#6 ·
In some parts of the country I have been surprised at the amount of fly tackle in the smiley stores. Maybe not top of the line but functional. This will mean a new level of competition for the local shop owner.

And Sean, you can't get out of that store without diapers or pullups. :hehe:

#8 ·
They're going to take a bite out of sales for "low-end" competition if the rods are in the same price range with TFO, Redington, and other similar brands. I'd hate to think that getting your product line into Wal-Mart is the benchmark of success in today's retail world.

#9 ·
And then after the folks buy this "cheaper fly gear" at Wally World, many of them will be in the local shops expecting the shop owners and employees to give them free lessons (like most shops do for newcomers who buy their equipment at the shop) so they can actually use the stuff and make a decent cast.

Perhaps Wally World can start up a "FLY PRO SHOP" section in their stores with this cheap fly gear so they can compete with BASS PRO SHOPS! Then all the folks who buy this low-end fly gear can think that they are buying "professional quality" fly stuff and feel like they are indeed "fly fishing pros".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.