Fly Fishing Forum banner

Worm Attack!

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
These are all variations of the SanJuan Worm.
I no longer use the Mustad#37160 since most hook up are too near to the brain when the hook sets. As far as color goes, go wild, I have some that are bright some that are dull colors even have one that is dayglow chartreuse, I call that one the "Electric Worm".

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice Pete!

Well those flies are imitiating blood worms which are midge/chronomid larvae that fish do actively feed on. I use them in sizes up to about 2 inches which are the largest I have ever seen in a lake.

I use them when fishing deep in lakes and do not feel like there is anything wrong with it. No different than using a GRHE or PT nymph IMHO.

-sean

#6 ·
Very nice!!

Sean is right on the money - Chironomid Larvae - definitely fits into the definition of "immitative" technique so I'd say cool. :smokin: I've found olive colored ones as well as the bright red.

Put a split shot on the leader and turn it into a jig - now that would get the purists very upset.

Not that you can get two purists to agree on a definition of what constitutes pure anyway :devil:

#8 ·
Ah yes, the San Juan Worm. I have found memories of using it on the Big Horn River when I lived in Billings Montana for a year. Never did tie it on the 37160 though. I tied it on a standard wet fly sproat hook in #8 to #12. And a maroon or burgundy ultra chenile worm tied with wine thread makes a very effective fly as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.