Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chicago Flyshow updated schedule

3K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
G
#1 ·
In case any of you are interested,

On Saturday January 11th

During the course of the show there will be a youth casting clinic sponsored by Sage Fly Rod Manufacturers.

Ticket price includes Seminar and casting demonstrations. Tying classes are available for an additional cost of $20 per class. WIth the exception of Davey Wotton, Chris Helm and Brad Befus tying classes which are $35 per class. Space is limited call for availability.

Time Pond Seminar Tying Class
9:00 Show opens
9:30 Jim Teeny . .
10:00 . Brad Befus
Carp - Bonefish of the Midwest Davey Wotton
Effective Wetflies & Techniques
10:30 . . .
11:00 . Dustin Harley
A Year on the St. Joe River .
11:30 Tim Rajeff . .
12:00 . Bill Sherer Muskie - The Big Fish on a Fly Brad Befus
Effective Patterns
12:30 . . .
1:00 . Bart &Tim Landweir
Driftboat Flyfishing .
1:30 Donna Teeny . .
2:00 . Tim Holschlag Smallmouth Tips and Tactics Chris Helm
Advanced Deerhair
Techniques
2:30 . . .
3:00 . Jerry Kustish Places I Have Fished .
3:30 Jim Teeny .. Jon Uhlenhop
Beginning Spey Flies
4:00 . Davy Wotton Advanced Stream Techniques .
4:30 . . .
5:00 Tim Rajeff .. ..
5:30 . . .
6:00 Show Closes

On Sunday January 12th

During the course of the show there will be a youth casting clinic sponsored by Sage Fly Rod Manufacturers.

9:30 Tim Rajeff . .
10:00 . Bill Greiner
Classic Atlantic Salmon Fishing Bill Sherer
Mastering the Muskie Fly
11:00 . Dave Blackburn
The Montana Experience .
11:30 Donna Teeny . .
12:00 . Jerry Darkes
Fish more water with Sinking Lines Chris Helm
Deerhair Tips and Techniques
1:00 . Tim Holschlag
Smallmouth Tips and Techniques .
1:30 Jim Teeny . .
2:00 . Mat Supinski
Open Water Steelhead Fishing Davey Wotton
New Baitfish/Shad pattern
2:30 .. .. ..
3:00 . . .
3:30 . . .
4:00 Show Closes

Copyright 2003 - Greater Midwest Flyfishing Show Inc.

Hal,

MS doen't speak until Sunday, you're gonna miss him.

See less See more
#8 ·
Sounds intersteing

I might be able to attend, besides I have to talk to Matt about my surf article that he is helping me to get published and therfore have to discuss that more, plus I want to BS with him. I also want to take a look at some of the newer tackle for 2003 and meet some more outfitters and guides.:D

G
#10 ·
You guys are going to like this,

On Saturday January 11th

Ticket price includes Seminar and casting demonstrations. Tying classes are available for an additional cost of $20 per class. WIth the exception of Davey Wotton, Chris Helm and Brad Befus tying classes which are $35 per class. Space is limited call for availability.

9:30 Jim Teeny . .
10:00 . Brad Befus
Carp - Bonefish of the Midwest Davey Wotton
Effective Wetflies & Techniques
11:00 . Mat Supinski
A New Approach to Open Water Steelhead Fishing .
11:30 Tim Rajeff . .
12:00 . Bill Sherer
Muskie - The Big Fish on a Fly Brad Befus
Effective Patterns
1:00 . Jerry Darkes
Driftboat Flyfishing .
1:30 Donna Teeny . .
2:00 . Tim Holschlag Smallmouth Tips and Tactics Chris Helm
Advanced Deerhair
Techniques
2:30 . . .
3:00 . Jerry Kustish Places I Have Fished .
3:30 Jim Teeny .. Jon Uhlenhop
Beginning Spey Flies
4:00 . Davy Wotton Advanced Stream Techniques .
4:30 . . .
5:00 Tim Rajeff .. ..
5:30 . . .
6:00 Show Closes

On Sunday January 12th

9:30 Tim Rajeff . .
10:00 . Bill Greiner
Classic Atlantic Salmon Fishing Bill Sherer
Mastering the Muskie Fly
11:00 . Dave Blackburn
The Montana Experience .
11:30 Donna Teeny . .
12:00 . Jerry Darkes
Fish more water with Sinking Lines Chris Helm
Deerhair Tips and Techniques
1:00 . Tim Holschlag
Smallmouth Tips and Techniques .
1:30 Jim Teeny . .
2:00 . Dustin Harley
A Year on the St. Joe River Davey Wotton
New Baitfish/Shad pattern
2:30 .. . ..
3:00 . . .
3:30 . . .
4:00 Show Closes

Hal,
Looks like you get your wish. I am sooo jealous:hehe:

#11 ·
If they change the schedule again don't tell us.

I am just going to look at the T+T spey rods anyway and cry. ;) ;)

Looking forward to the carp lecture, will have to send Quentin a summary of key points

I know there is great carp fly fishing to be had in GL country got to have a contingency if there is another poor skamania summer run in 2003. I doubt it though, imagine how big they are getting in the lake with this mild winter.

PM Out

G
#12 ·
We could still have a poor run of skamania this year, it all depends on rain andheat.

The fish could come in this spring on high unfishable water spawn and shoot back out to the lake.

Seen it happen before.

I'll keep you posted on any changes to the schedule.

G
#14 ·
Just being truthful is all.

Seen the fish come in on high water many times, spawn and dash back out to the lake.

Thats probably why we have so many fish, its the end result of all those unmolested years.

#15 ·
wait wait...

MJYP,

I don't know what you are reffering to as spring and summer fish, but I will just offer what I know since I do alot of research on steelhead behavior.

First of all summer run fish do not spawn in the summer months, they spawn in early to mid winter, usually December-February. When skamania were planted years ago, the fish stock consisted of three fish, two females over 32" and one male over 36" that would be the broad stock of the entire species here in the GL region. One female was an early runner(june-mid july), the other a later runner(later july - september). These fish enter the rivers not to spawn, but to "holdover", feed and mainly because gentics were altered to create this fishery. Therfore saying this you are correct about skamania entering the rivers during a spate, cooler water flows, etc. but just as easily they will slip out to the lake when conditions are less than ideal(ex: water temp, condtions, rising or falling baro, etc). I have learned this from expirence from GL surf flyfishing, where I walk the beaches looking for mouths that can be full or absent of fish depending on many factors.

If you were speaking about the spring run, you may be correct on smaller tribs, but usually on larger river systems you can expect fish to stage longer since the river would usually be longer. Even if we did have rain for a straight week or two weeks, you would still probably have fish staging when conditions are back to ideal.

G
#16 ·
Been fishing steelhead since 1982, I know the difference.

Skams spawn first as rule then the manistee fish. We used to have a strain of fish that ran in Indiana that was loaded with eggs when you caught them in late october, I always figured they spawned in December or January.

I also have seen years where the fish would stage in the lake mill around due to low water then shoot up on a downpour (there once was a time when spring was very rainy) the streams would be too high and roily to fish, they would come and drop and shoot out before many fisherman got to them.

These fish stage, if the water is low you get hordes of fish staging, hence the word "run" . After a good rain(many inches) these fish will "run" up the river to spawn. If it is a lot of rain they will run in droves do thier thing and drop back before you know it.

Extended low water periods hold fish back, some come in but most stay in the lake or deeper lower sections of the river. Which explains this years poor fall/winter run. Some fish have come in, some not all. these fish will get a chance to spawn first and their young will have a better chance of survival since there will be less competition for food. hell skamanias were muttated at the fish factory.

I base this on fishing the river before the rain where minimal fish were found. then again once the waters subsided. I was lucky enough to work 4 day weeks back then so I had a chance to hit these babies often. what i found after the downpour receeding was pods of spawned out fish very close to the river mouth.

I did'nt read this in books, i saw it first hand on the rivers 21 years of fishing has a way of helping you formulate observations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.