Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike flies

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I'm tying patterns for my dad's trip up to Nuelton lake. He insists on a seven weight rod. Does any one have any suggestions on good patterns for pike in the 25lb. range that can be casted on such a light rod?

#2 ·
Most of the patterns listed in the Fly Archives will work reasonably well with a "fast" 7 Wt. If you are tying these, make them shorter, say 3-4 inches instead of 5-8 inches long. Also, try to reduce the weight by using materials that do not suck up water. Avoid rabbit, wool, etc. they really get heavy when water logged, use synthetics instead. Avoid heavy epoxy heads as well. Better to use a sinking tip than a heavier fly.

#5 ·
I once fished for northerns with a 9' 6 wt and tossed normal sized pike flies of 6"-9" with it without problems. I used a 7 wt floating shooting head and flies tied on Sealy 3/0 4XL hooks (a hook that has not been made for many years, unfortunately). However, the flies were tied long through the use of whole saddle feathers tied pusher style on the rear of the hook, Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn for a body, a saddle hackle palmered on the body with a few extra turns at the front, and .035 lead wrapped on the front 1/3 of the body to get a jig-effect on the retrieve.

I was able to cast them 60'-70' with the 7 wt floating shooting head because, as was mentioned, the flies did not hold water. I was returning from trout fishing and the fellow I was with wanted to try and catch a pike because he had not done so before on a fly rod. He had an 8 wt along with his 6 wt with him; alas, I only had my 6 wt. I did have a few pike flies stuffed in my fihsing vest though.

I found it is very possible to fish with even a 6 wt for pike and be able to cast a large pike-sized flies (provided they were made of materials that did not soad up and hold water) with it. The rod was nearly worthless for pumping in pike over about 8 pounds though. I did manage to land one of around 25 pounds that day; but it was no fun on the 6 wt. I would never pike fish again with anything smaller than an 8 wt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.