Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage XP!

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnM 
#1 ·
Watched Randy Swisher casting a trout rod into the mesh at the casting pool this morning. I went over to say hello and he said - check this out... it was the 4wt 8'6" Sage XP and what a rocket! Most 4wt rods don't provide the crisp, wedge-cutting weapon that I get from 7wt and up - but this one is a dream. Of course I was a bit rusty from 10 weeks without serious casting, but was able to really dig the feel and capabilities of this rod.

I also cast the 2-pc 8wt 9'6" XP. It was a whole new experince in power without stiffness. I wished the rod was available when I lived in the pacific northwest to use as a single-hander in the broad steelie rivers. It has a great feel to it for fighting fish too, the other side of the coin. It will make one of the best 8wt striper rods out there as well. I would use it for albies in the size class we hammered on the BoneClave in a heartbeat.

Sage XP - Three thumbs up!

Juro

#5 ·
Luis,

No, unfortunately Cathy Beck had a Demo at the pool as I was about to switch for that rod with my buddy. He prefered the RPLXi to the XP, but Barry Beck certainly was a big fan of the rod (FWIW). Claiming that he just returned from Venezuela and that is the rod he consistently reached for. I liked the 8wt Backwater by Daimondback as well as the RPLXi 8wt 3pc. and probably will be buying (or building) that in lieu of the Sage (can't justify it).

Pete

#6 ·
Pete:
you say your friend preferred the RPLXi to the XP. Is the XP that stiff to be compared with the RPLXi? I wonder how the XP would work in light line situations then, like a 3 or 4wt.?

Oh yes, Cathy B.... hmmm... last year in Toronto she was giving a clinic and I was chatting with a friend quite far away and as she spoke, she gave me a dirty look. Guess she must have really good ears 8^)
The Diamondback you're referring to... is it an IM6 blank? I have a three piece 9 weight Diamondback (IM6 blank and spigot ferrule) which I love casting but find too soft when trying to push it in wind situations or reaching for distance.

#7 ·
Luis,

If I remember correctly, my friend liked the way it cast in close, hoever, he just felt he couldn't throw the same distance as the RPLXi, he said he just felt like his loops were very large and that it just died out past 50'. I think he is a good caster, and he loves his 10wt RPLX. He did really like the RPLXi, it was nice in the 30' range and didn't lose anything at the limits of his casting range. As the purchase of one of these rods now require a pretty good investment, I'd certainly recommend a test-casting session at a local shop, show, etc before buying. I'm sure your already aware of that though, it is just that I used to put stock in what others said, but after test casting a bunch of different rods, it certainly comes down to your individual style and preferences. It was funny, as I test cast the RPLXi a few times I just looked over to Chris with a big grin, and it certainly took a bit to wipe it off my face.

As for the Diamondback Backwater (BTW - same grin), here is the link to their web page <!--http--><a href="http://www.diamondbackflyrods.com/BkWatr_1.htm" target="_blank">striper weapon</a><!--url-->

<li>BLANK
GRAPHITE: Intermediate modulus
(42 milliom) DGS800
SCRIM: Bi-directional fiberglass
FERRULE: Tip-over-butt
FINISH: Stealthalized matte
ACTION: fast

#8 ·
Pete:
Thanks for the reply. I agree with the "trying before buying" slogan... especially with rods. For the past decade I have only bought rods I've tested before. This is something that can easily be done now in north america, so why not take advantage of it.

#9 ·
Luis,

I didn't finish my previous post on the Diamondback Backwater, someone stopped over the office and I had to pretend that I was working
. The Backwater series seems to be very stiff compared to most others that I have tried in the Diamondback line (doesn't include the SW models). I didn't have the drag set very much on the reel, but was able to generate enough power in the cast to pull line off the reel, and that was with a comfortable casting stroke. Be sure to check them out at the show in April.

Pete

BTW - very nice caddis pupa imitation, thanks for the directions and the photo

#10 ·
I also cast the rod with Juro at the show. This was one of the nicest 8 weights I have cast BUT for me, I prefer a faster action rod. (Yes Juro, you know I am a T&T guy !!) I was very impressed with the cosmetics of the rod, though. In regards to Diamondback, has anyone had challenges with breakage at the ferrules ??

#11 ·
Hi John:
I have an 9ft 9wt 3 piece Diamondback with spigot ferrules. Mine broke at the first ferrule (snapped in half) while bringing in a nice brown on te St. Lawrence. I had the rod repaired and sent back to me in about a week. No small task on shippings between Canada and the U.S. I also cannot complain because I won the rod at the first Salar@ Margaree Clave. All this happened under the previous ownership of Diamondback (Barton Merle Smith was the owner then). I know that since then Diamondback has been making sleeve over ferrules. I still like spigot ferrules though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.