Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poly Leaders

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flyspoke 
#1 ·
Poly Leaders seemingly are now extremely popular when it comes to topping off a scandi or skagit shooting head for the spey caster and rightfully so as they enhance the roll-over and delivery of your fly.

Has anyone had experience with poly leaders when it comes to one handed rods? Seems almost natural that it should help delivery as well. If anyone does have experience with these leaders for one handed rods I would love hearing about it.

#2 ·
I have used the RIO versi-leaders quite a bit for trout/steelhead and like them a lot. I am using short (6') leaders for single-hand rods in various sink rates. While they do hinge a bit, they are managable and can be cast overhead. I have found them to be priceless when high-sticking big freestone rivers and they have saved the day for me on more than one occasion. They definitely don't enhance the delivery in the short 6' length due to the hinge-factor. Could be different with the longer versions but I think they woudl be difficult to manage on a 9' rod.

#3 ·
In order to get the most with a single hand rod and poly leaders start thinking of overhead casting as a secondary option. It works but has no advantage. Using a line like the Grand Wulff Ambush or an Airflo Rage will give you the system required to learn two hand casts using a single hand rod. Learning how to make V loops while applying dramatic hauls will give you all the distance you will ever need. Learning how to change direction using the water will increase the number of minutes your fly is fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tExLzEAohcg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.