Fly Fishing Forum banner

Daughter - 1 / Dad - 0

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  marvin 
#1 ·
Decided to head to Plum Island after work and my daughter figured she would tag along - she figured she would sit along the beach and read. Well after ten minutes or so - she gets bored and wants to try fishing. Because she has never even thrown a fly, I had a spin rod in the car, so I ran to Surfland and grabbed some clams. Rigged it all up and she casts it out, sitting there watching me chuck my Olive Closuer all over the place to no avail. All of a sudden I hear a scream and turn to see here chasing her pole into the water. She yells - "Dad I think I have one!" and she reels as the rod bends. I go over and help her release the fish - trying to get her to do the Jimmy Houston thing - but she's not willing - imagine that! Nothing more rewarding then seeing the look on her face when she finally saw the fish up close - a nice 22" fatty schoolie. Well we fished for about another half an hour - again, Daughter - 1 / Dad - 0

Bring a kid fishing - you'll never regret it!

#2 ·
Amen to that. My four year old daughter caught a squid while fluke fishing out at Quicks hole this summer. By her reaction you would have thought she caught Moby Dick himself. She got it up on top and the foolish thing shot a stream of water over the side of the boat that hit her square in the chest . Then when I pulled it in the boat the misrable thing chomped on my finger it was priceless. Fifty stripers on the fly by myself would'nt have been worth that one scene with the kids they never forget.

#3 ·
Great stuff! I've got a chest full of treasured kids fishing stories myself. Last year grandpa asked me to take my niece fishing with her new snoopy rod. My mission was to get a photo for his album. We went down to the pond and she hooked a nice smallmouth bass. Very excited, I started to snap photos for grandpa as she fought the fish. Suddenly, she screamed and threw the rod in the water, running up the hillside. I dove into the water to retrieve the new rod and asked her to come down. She had seen the red eyes of the smallie and said "NO - it's mad at me!". Determined to get the photo, I calmed her down and had her come back to the water. I said "we need to get a picture for Poppa... do you want to hold the rod or the fish?". She quickly replied "the rod!".

The picture was priceless!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.