Fly Fishing Forum banner

Parker River Salters

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
If my mother agrees to watch her Grandson this Sunday I'm going to try a few spots along the Parker for Trout that I learned long ago from a friend's father. I think the weather should be mild enough to make it worth going out. I don't care if I catch anything.

My question is - What flys do I use? I was thinking of using Wooly Buggers and a few different Nymphs in my fly box. I haven't fished for trout in over a year and I figure if I'm going to put some time in I might as well use the right fly.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I've had luck in the past with grass shrimp patterns and small baitfish patterns. I tend to go for imitators first, then stimulators second. The bugger is a good stimulator / imitator mix. Chubs are probably a hardy winter forage fish for them.

In warm weather the salters I have known are real picky, but can turn on like wildfire all of a sudden. Our best experiences have been at dusk.

In any case, the experimentation is the fun part. I wouldn't rule out a big aggravator pattern - my friend landed a 3+ lb'er on a 1 oz. Kastmaster with bucktail standing right next to me one evening. The trout were invisible all day and started to boil the surface at dusk.

let us know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.