Fly Fishing Forum banner

Joining the Ranks...

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Well, been a heck of a busy time as of late with work but I have been able to squeeze in one purchase that I can't wait to use.

Picked up a small 16' 1996 Aquasport 165 striper with a 88HP E'rude on the back. Pulled it home last week and its sitting proudly in the driveway of our postage stamp property in Arlington.

Pics forthcoming as soon as I get some good ones!

Can't wait to get on the water and take it for a spin. Layout seems pretty nice and I think she'll be in good shape by the time the stripes head north of the cape. I have been toying with the idea though of the first drop being somewhere south of the RI border :)...

#2 ·
Congratulations Nick!

Sounds like a sweet little ride. My first real power boat was a 16.5" Sealaker and although small comparatively it was the ticket to amazing adventures on the water and easy to launch by myself when I wanted to.

Reserve a day for me to show you around the bayside flats, I have had them w-i-r-e-d since the 90's by boat since I converted several co-workers with boats in Sesuit to flyfishing by showing them around the area and it's ten times the fishery from a craft that it is on foot because of the bg tide risk for waders.

I have two in college coming up but once past that I will be looking for a ride again myself.

#3 ·
Juro,

Open invite for sure...Bayside sounds perfect to me. I plan on learning Crane's beach and the south facing North Shore coves sight fishing game this summer. Once I figure it out, I can give you a tour up there as well.

Nick

#4 ·
Take a look at the satellite shots to the southeast (essex estuary system) been drooling over that for years now and would love to be shown around that area :)

Wingaersheek next stop as well, running Annisquam would be a kick too.

I've done the parker and the PI inside sand flats from boats and that's a sweet area, bright water and white sand unlike the cut up toward Joppa which btw would be an easy run in a boat that size to hit Woodbridge or Joppa inthe same day.

Hampton is another area with great potential and endless options on the flood with the extensive tribs and open area sand structures.

#6 ·
I kayaked a lot of those areas for the first time last year and really got an appreciation for the Essex/Crane's system. The kayak only lacked one thing, and that was a little altitude to see ahead some. I'm hoping the boat will give me a bit of an edge and a little longer time with the tides.

#7 ·
Congrats Nick. Boat sounds like a sweet rig for what you are looking to do. Maybe a poling platform in the future? Let me know if you head down south of RI for the maiden voyage. Maybe we can hook up. Never hurts to have a buddy boat in the area when taking your first trip.

Sean

#8 ·
Sean, thanks for the offer. Yeah, i'm really excited to see what she can do as I wasn't able to sea trial (winterized engine etc). I think it will be perfect for the majority of the fishing i'll do.

Poling platform would be great....although it may get in the way of the outriggers I'm installing for SBFT :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.