Fly Fishing Forum banner

DIYS Fishing DomincanRepublic?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  grizz0707 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all,
hope everyone is well I was hoping to find some info on the availability of flats, species, etc in the Domincan.... My girl and I need warmth on a budget. Dominican seems to be the cheapest All inclusives. Any thoughts or feedback on fishability? I am jealous of the Acklins trip, I want to go, don't think my better half would be game

#2 ·
Not much on this topic...

Fellow member "Ross" posted in December 2001...

I am not sure if Punta Cana relates to the opportunities elsewhere on the island but I would not go to that end of the island if I were going to give equal billing to tropical angling opportunities. My guess is that it would be a bluewater thing, maybe some dorado on the flyrod if the captain will allow it.

Well, I've been lazy in getting back to you all about my fishing experience in the Dominican Republic.
First, let me say, Punta Cana (on the east end of the island) is a fantastic destination. Barcelo Bavaro Palace Resort is a first class operation. For the money, I don't think it can be beat. All-inclusive, booze, meals, restaurants, etc. can be had (including airfare for under $1000US per person, per week. I highly recommend going there.

As for the fishing action...well, let's just say that you won't find any flats fishing to speak of and everyone I talked to knew of no opportunities for bones, tarpon or permit. However, on my last day there, as I was headed to the lobby with my luggage, I bumped into a fellow with a flyrod. He said he had spent the early part of the morning fishing for small tarpon in the "lake" next to the golf course. My guess is that the "lake" was actually a brackish piece of water that manages to support tarpon. In any event, I never got a chance to through a fly at them, but I could have been fun if I'd known about it a little sooner.

The only fishing I heard about was a group of guys that went out on a charter for a half day. They came back with four dorado and some stories about the sea sickness problems they' had. The trip was supposed to be for white/blue marlin and sailfish too, but they didn't see any.

I was not able to get out with a local to explore the backwaters for other opportunities, as I did not have the time to do so. Maybe next time...

So, there you have it. My report on what the east end of the island of Punta Cana has to offer for fishing.

Next stop...Costa Rica in February.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and has a Happy New Year!
Ross Currier

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.