Fly Fishing Forum banner

Terry's Terror

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Fly Tyer: Wrke (Bill)

Pattern: Terrys Terror

You might be disappointed at first glance but read ahead. We named the fly after the Irish angler who introduced it to us in Russia last August. In this size, it was responsible for taking a number of salmon including the largest --- 44lbs. A seemingly simple tube fly (doesn’t even use “junction tubing) that on close inspection reveals two small holes in the sides of the tube. Its a “waking” tube fly, used on the surface. For waking, the leader is inserted into a hole in the side of the fly, instead of the front, depending on the side of the river you are fishing. The fly is normally fished with a size 10 double, but as every one has requested a single hook, I’ve used a size 8 single, Used with several colors of bucktail, but red or orange with black probably took most fish. Use a heated needle to make the holes tying.

The pattern is very simple:

Thread: red
Tube
Under wing: Orange dyed squirrel
Over wing: Black squirrel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
PM has revealed one of the deadliest secrets

PM....aha......you have uleashed some powerful medicine.

Before I started tying on tubes I used the equivalent on steel shanked hooks.....known as the riffling hitch.

It is absolutely deadly on fish that come short to the waking or skated fly......if the fish comes short....switch to the riffled hitch and they will almost always come with reckless abandon on the next pass as long as they have not felt the steel. The grab will often straighten ones arm

Thanks for revitalizing the riffled hitch for me, now I can apply it to the tubes as well

best regards.

Jake

#3 ·
Why not use the riffle hitch all the time for steelies and salmon ?

In Lee Wulff's book "Salmon on a Fly" he says it works very well for western steelhead and it was kept a secret for a long time.

Thats what I will do in the very few surface/high sub surface opportunities we have here in the great lakes for steelhead when the water temps are over 45 and the fish are in the river.

PM Out

#5 ·
Since Hal's pics could use a little better focus, I've attached the following image of the fly. Position of the holes in the side contribute to how the fly behaves. You should be able to see the holes in the photo. Different wing materials are also used, including Arctic Fox. Tube length here is 1/2", hook is Partridge P size 10 with the eye straightened.
Bill

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.