Fly Fishing Forum banner

Vest, Chestpack or Fanny pack?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
I am in need of a new vest chestpack or fanny pack and wanted to know what most people use for there tributary fishing? What are the pros and cons for the different systems out there?

#4 ·
Put me down for "none of the above." Almost all my steelheading is done wearing my Simms Guide Jacket. I find the jacket has plenty of room for anything I might need. As I rarely carry more than one flybox when steelheading I don't even fill up the pockets in this jacket. On the rare day where the temperatures are too warm to wear the jacket, I do use an inexpensive checkpak, but I'll bet I haven't warn it in over two years. Vests and chestpacks end up leaving you with a lot of stuff out front, and I find that gets in the way of my speycasting.

#5 ·
Good point Jr Spey! I only use the double haul on saltwater excursions (flats and beaches for bonefish and stripers) where on steelhead streams I use my old simms guide vest which is usually under a rain jacket in winter. Even then pulling oars I don't like the vest since the pockets get in the way my arms and I use a smaller centered chest pack in that case, using a bag on the boat to store anything that doesn't fit. It carries just the stuff I need when I wade away from the boat.

So what I use depends on what I'm doing.

I don't use a 'fanny' (a naughty word in the UK) pack since my waist is almost always in the drink while wading. One exception is a North Face waterproof belt pack I use for camera equipment when I am not wading deep and want to get some video footage.

I have drawn up some designs for chest packs i would like to have sewn up someday - I don't think there are any on the market that are quite what I would dream up given the chance. Luckily my sister is a professional in the garment design business and can teach me about durable stitching techniques and suitable materials, closures, straps, etc.

#6 ·
I've been pondering this too. I've been considering a vest but once summer gets going a vest seems like it might be too warm. At the moment I'm using a waist pack that I got from EMS. (I got it for my wife to take on vacation so she didn't have to carry a purse. The I absconded with it to fish with.) But is has so many tags and zippers and straps that it seems like my fly line is always tangled in it. A lot of the zippers require 2 hands to open a close so I end up dropping my rod in the drink to get stuff out. I can wear the waist pack around my neck so it kind of works as a chest pack but it seems to put a strain on my neck so I'm not sure I'd like a chest pack. I may give up and try one of the venelated vests. Perhaps the mesh Volga from Clear Creek?

#7 ·
I carry a Patagucci "Storm Front" back pack. It is waterPROOF and holds most everything I will need for the day away from the car/boat. Keeps my camera stuff dry even if I dunk. I usually leave it on the back and wade with a small bag (holds a couple of boxes for flies and leader etc.) or just use pockets.
This year I am going to tryout a SageBrush water proof fanny/shoulder bag for the photo stuff. Looks very promising.

#10 ·
A multi-zipper pocket Cortland 'fanny pack.' I do have a Bucks Bag chest vest but it rarely gets out of the car. Reason for a fanny pack is EVERYONE has a great tendency to carry far to much gear around. All that weight just tires you out ... :eek: and you don't use 90% of it but once per year. And it's always out of your way when casting.

And before I forget: almost anywhere else in the world they're referred to as "bum bags." And for very good reason!!:whoa:

#11 ·
Something higher

Most of the places I fish a fanny pack would be great, but a number of require deeper wading to even get off a cast, so the fanny pack would not work there. Of course if you slip and go down, it gets wet anyway.:chuckle:

#12 ·
different scenarios require different gear (imho)depending on what I am doing, On days when I may be out all day & things may change trout fishing I use a vest. loaded with all manner of flies, spare sinking tip spool, net, etc...Fishpond brand is my current vest.
I also have a Fishpond chest pac and combo back pack rig I take with me when hiking along way from the truck. Brookie fishing in small streams mostly. I can carry lunch, camera, extra shirt, water etc in the back. Up front I have a fly box & some tippet spools etc..

On days when I am not far from the truck, Road fishing I call it, I just use a shirt or the pocket in my waders & carry a few flies and a some tippet spools, hemostats and floatant. What more do you need? The vest stays in the truck if I need something from it.

Most of my salfwater fishing is done from a friends boat so I have a big bag of gear that I take along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.