Fly Fishing Forum banner

Off South Beach-7/9- another day

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
Out off south about a mile or two this morning...fished from 6 am to 11:00am... high tide out going.... drift deep eels with huge clouser eyes.... caught 1/2 dozen...all keepers and over 30 inchs. This one was one of mine at 35 ". Fly rods

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
John,
What was the water depth and temp. Hey while you're at it how about some gps co-ords... :p

If the @#$@#$* computer systems will hold out for a few more hours I'm going to hit it tomorrow morning. All I've got is 325gr so I was curious about the depth you're hitting them at. I will resort to spin gear if conditions dictate but would like to get some of those fatties on the fly.

Nice looking flies.

#5 ·
Jim..I was using my 12 weigth Reel on my 10 wt....650 grain.... it seemed the fish were down LOW... not in the 10 to 20 water column..old fashioned jigging... The water depth out there is about 30 feet ...for miles.... and even with the grain... we were getting an "angle" on the lines.... so I am not positive as to the exact depth...but the sink and retreve did not work... that is...no hits in 10 to 20 feet...only hits on the bottom...jig.

#9 ·
Ah...Dave... hope you had fun taking the commuter rail home... it's fun looking out the window... ;) Mike... the owner of the boat carries three spinning rods ... I did not use a spinning rod... and since we are sharing...I want to introduce my "Fat Albert" south beach fly... any purists out there as to whether this is a fly...Please, just leave me alone... Here is an effective fly for fly rod jigging off that beach in those conditions... very effective and easy to tye... it's just the three coatings of epoxy are a pain.... Tie up a couple when you don't have your heavy grain line but need to absolutly get down.

Attachments

#14 ·
Rooster, the Rats Ass is one of my favorites. Originally designed by Harry Koons, he tied it in white, by varying the colors it becomes an anytime fly.
Simple, simple tie. Start with a good size set of Clouser eyes, I prefer a 2/0 hook, then add a Deciever tail, 2 pair concave and a last pair convex. Add a little flash. The body is crosscut bunny palmered up the shank and tied off behind the eyes. build up a head and coat with epoxy. Love the way bunny moves!
Slinger

#15 ·
Doc...it's a 4/0 Trey Combs Big Game.... I simply place the cone over the shank up to the eye...tye in like you usually tye in the cone... then simply tye in the super or unique hair...white on the bottom, then flip and put in the guts with purple, then flash then blend olive and chartruese fibers...then your first application of epoxy in the cone and around the fibers on the hook shank.... then build up with a second coat after you put the eyes on.. then your third and/or forth to make a "bulb" shape.

#18 ·
Jim -

New ride? Cool!

Heading out of Oyster? With morning highs no clammer traffic. Pleasant Bay gets you right out to the action though, these fish are sitting 300 yd to 3 mi off the backside over shoals of sand eels in 20-50ft of water so I hear. Most antsy fish are near rip formations or anywhere you see birds and bait.

I hear lots of blues on the west side of South M. and some very large stripers in the point rip eating small sand eels but I wouldn't want to make the corner at the wrong time/tide.

Crib saves you some weaving vs north channel and will be full in morning and afternoon.

Good luck, sounds like the day job has been working you hard, you deserve a good day on the water dude.

#19 ·
7/10-7/11 Same Bat Channel

Nice report,

We did the weekend shift out there 7/10-7/11. Saturday was unreal, acres of BIG sandeels, 15 foot basking shark cruising thru, whales, birds, the whole 9 yards. Aside from 2 pesky blues every fish over 30" including a 38" and a 40" on monster eel patterns similar to Striblue's.

Sunday different story. Hot in the am...hooked something we had to chase in the boat to prevent getting spooled for 15 minutes. The knot snapped although the rod was about to. What a start. Good day until it died with the wind around 10. The fleet of umbrella rig draggers were hooking up but it seemed the bait/fish had gone deep....the easily visible rafts of eels were not to be seen on top.

John what kind of line are you chucking on that 10wt?

#21 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. My 325 managed on 32" fish. Plenty of bait around on Saturday, almost too much. Rich and I saw Roop out there and he took us down to the rip off South monomoy n the outside. Scary standing waves down there but we managed to anchor up on front of the rip. You could see the fish nailing eels just on the edge of the rip. Rich landed one FAT 35" fish on very light tackle spin gear, took ~ 20 minutes to land it while anchored. Pulling the anchor would have put us stern first into the rip, not good. Rich fought the fish well and got it in, although the spool was only covered with 7 or 8 wraps of mono. The kick is the fish was stronger and healthier than most I've landed, I think all the moving water actually pumped the thing up. Easily 20lbs.

I tried casting the fly but there was no getting the 325gr. down, it looked like a floater out in that current.

#22 ·
I couldn't really fish the rip right as I had to run the boat and we were running short on time for the morning so we didn;t drop a hook.

We had skinny fish up to 36" and several fatties that took you to right the bottom.

I'd rather be competing against the huge schools of eels then the krill infestations of years past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.