Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cancun Bonefishing requierments?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Pat Bahan 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the regulations for fishing the lagoon at Cancun for bonefish? Last year I chaperoned our senior trip to Cancun and drooled all over myself looking out over those flats. If I go back this year I want to spend some time on those flats. I really don't want to spring for a guide, but I need to find out what's legal. Can you get a fishing license and fish on your own or are non-citizens required to fish with a guide?

#4 ·
thanks

Speynut - tried them, thanks. One mentions getting a license, but none give info on do it yourself. Maybe if I pm them.
Juro- did as you suggested. Will have to pm them as with the sites Speynut suggested. thanks again.

#5 ·
Hi Pat,

I presume the lagoon system you saw was the Laguna Nichupte'. If so, be aware that it's a protected reserve and the only way you can legitimately fish it is with a guide. That's not to say you couldn't do it on your own...I've seen it done there many times. The bridge areas by the Canal Nichupte' and Canal Nizuc are often fished at night for Tarpon by locals and tourists in the know.

For shorebound anglers fishing Mexican coastal waters (in non protected areas)..."no fishing license is required".

I've fished the Mayan Coast south of Cancun extensively and the Do-it-yourself opportunities are vast and productive. Further searches of flyfishing and travel boards should bring you rafts of information.

Regards,

Henry

#6 ·
Speynut -

In accordance with our site policy (listed at the top of the page) we ask that you send an email suggesting sponsorship to the businesses you provided links to.

Make sure you CC:sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com with this email, written in your own words stating the great reasons for sponsoring us.

Otherwise it would be unfair for those who do sponsor us.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing those emails.

#7 ·
Mexican licese

Nearly every time I have fished in mexico,I was told that the lodge or someone was providing me with the necessary license. However I have never seen it. However when I fished offshore Ixtapa, we were strongly encouraged by the captain to get a license. However it was extremely difficult. We would have had to be on the right corner at the right time when the government guy came by. There was no place to go. We could have asked the captain to get the license, but they wer not all that anxious to help and pleaded ignorant of cost, etc. Needless to say we didn't get one and didn't get checked. Apparently the fines are pretty severe.

#8 ·
Henry, I was told by some of the tourist people at the motel where we stayed that that was the situation on the Lagoona, but didn't completely trust them to tell me the truth, especially if they smelled tourist dollars. (all gringos are rich you know). If I take the kids back this year I'll have to check down the coast.
Thanks to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.