Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any fresh Neah Reports?

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I'm heading out there all of next week. Any reports?

-tony

#3 ·
Fished last Thurs & Friday, slooooow. not one coho. Heard a rumor Thurs eve the fish were 10-25 miles West of Tatoosh, but snotty weather and a open boat in the morning denied us. Bait balls and birds working, but the (the tell tale sign) bait flipping on the surface was the missing link. Black rock fish came out to play, busting bait fish on the surface, so poppers were fun. Hopefully the quota will hold off through August. Some usual suspects are fishing there now and should hear some more soon.

#4 ·
I went out there Monday 24th. Talked to the folks at big salmon. The swell, current & wind combined for ocean conditions that made them turn around their 57' charter on the way out to do bottom fishing. Today Nate & Dick went out. The marine forecast is for more of the same all week so I turned around and came home today without launching my boat. I'll try again in a couple weeks - the end of the 2nd week of august. Hopefully those guys hit a few fish.

-t
-t

#5 ·
SalmoGairdneri said:
Today Nate & Dick went out. The marine forecast is for more of the same all week so I turned around and came home today without launching my boat. I'll try again in a couple weeks - the end of the 2nd week of august. Hopefully those guys hit a few fish.

-t
-t
Like I said, the usual suspects. I hope they hit some fish. Perhaps we may see eachother in August. Were they staying a Hobucks? Has anybody heard from Chris, since he hung it up? Missed seeing him up there.

#6 ·
bad day at Neah

Dick and I had a rough day at Neah on Tuesday -- about 6 hours on the water and just a couple of bottom fish to show for it. And we spent most of our time dragging plug cut herring around. There appeared to be extremely low numbers of salmon on the inside, and even the black rockfish were scarce around the kelp beds. The only fish we took home was a fly caught black rocker... we hooked ZERO salmon. We also heard rumors that there were salmon offshore, but there was an 8 foot swell outside the west entrance, so we poked around out there until it got too rough. We also saw a fair number of birds and signs of herring, but nothing like it was 2, 3 and 4 summers ago. Some friends fished on a charter boat and they ended up with 3 silvers for 14 anglers after fishing all over the inside waters and some outside as well.

Maybe all this offshore wind has cooled the ocean and cranked up the productivity in the nearshore, but for the small boat angler I'd wait for the winds and seas to drop down so you can comfortably hunt around out there.

On both the drive out and drive back Sekiu looked like a ghost town, I guess the salmon fishing has been extremely slow there too.

#8 ·
Westport slow but getting better

Charters have been averaging about 1/2 a fish per rod up till this last week. Now they're averaging 1- 1.5 fish per rod. Supposedly about an even mix of Silvers and Kings. Word is that Everything is about 2 weeks late (now where have I heard that before :rolleyes: )

#10 ·
Any August Neah Reports?

I was out fishing the Clallam bay (Pillar pt->Sekiu River area) 2-4 August. Mostly dragging bottom for halibut with gear but also bucktailing to locate Coho. I did not hook a single silver.

I'm heading back out to Neah this week 9-12 August.

Any fresh reports? I've heard repeated rumors that the silvers are about 8+ miles offshore west of Tatoosh. I have not heard anything about Swiftsure.

Please PM me if you have any fresh info.

Cheers,

-Tony

#12 ·
Coho numbers are way down here this year. Only about 5-10% of a normal year. The Chinook are still being caught here in good numbers -not because of an abundance of Chinook, but rather because of the relative absense of Cohos and humpies. These are primarily migrating fish I'm referring to. It's not looking too good for Cohos this year.

#13 ·
Hey Pescaphile Kudos to whoever did the packing on those King Salmon pieces. Demarie and I had fresh Alaskan King two nights in a row and now we are out of fresh Kings:frown: If I wasn't sneaking off with the guy who flew the fish down here to a secret Steelhead spot I would cash in some air miles and come darken your door for more! Thanks from both of us it was real special treat.:smokin:

#14 ·
Glad to hear it was enjoyable. If I recall correctly, your air courier was very selective on the cuts that he chose to take with him choosing to take only those portions that the neophyte salmon eaters so often discard (the same cuts that I sometimes talk the tourists out of by claiming I would like them for crab bait!)

There's nothin' like a good dose of Omega-3-rich fatty King Salmon and they're still being caught in greater number than the humpies! - a weird year :)

#15 ·
Well, we did fish NB over the weekend to no avail on salmon. Not sure that we even saw any although the bait guys are picking up a few. Conditions were difficult as wind and fog conspired to make seeing much of anything difficult. Did see a few bait balls but no salmon in them. Mostly "firecracker" herring which bodes well for future supply.

I do hold out hope for some kind of season though. The reds were a couple of weeks late into Lake Washington, the spring kings in the Colombia were late and I am hearing that most other runs of salmon are late as well. The guys that made it out to Swiftsure earlier in the week saw large schools here and there on the surface. We were told that there were good numbers of surface feeding salmon just off Wadda on Saturday but of course we blew by that spot so we could fish in the fog and wind.

Right now it looks like the season will last through August or at least most of it. They have even opened the season to 7 days a week.

We will be back on station this weekend so if you see the Whaler stop buy to say Hi. We will be on channel 68 and respond to "trout bum".

TB

#18 ·
Neah Bay 9-11 August

I was out at Neah and fished hard wed->friday. We found a few silvers out at swiftsure but in low concentrations and only bucktailing. We got a couple grabs casting flies after hooking a fish bucktailing but that was it. We a short time casting in a brief pod of krill-sippers but only had 1 grab. Overall, a little better action than last year but still terribly slow. Lots of running to hook relatively few fish bucktailing. Probably hooked a dozen or so each day out at Swiftsure.

Cheers,

-tony

#20 ·
juro said:
Thanks Tony -

How are they running this year size-wise?
The fish that Bob and I got into last week were actually pretty decent sized for this time of year. We kept 6 of the hatchery fish over those 3 days. Oddly, all were hens and all had quite mature eggs... We split the fish and I brought home 3 - they filled the big chief smoker.

-tony

#21 ·
D_R_O_O_O_L smoked ocean-fed coho >sigh<

Not such a bad trip by the sound of it... but not the glory days by any means.

Heck of a year that hooknose clave year was in retrospect :smokin:

Better not leave town anymore though Tony... look what's happened to the M's :Eyecrazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.