Fly Fishing Forum banner

hello, a newbie here

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  new2fly 
#1 ·
hello, just want to say hi and i am a newbie on this site. I am also about to enter my second season of fly fishing. last year a friend got me to try fly fishing for smaller size brook trout on a dry fly and it didnt take long and i was hooked. i have always fished with spinning gear but there is a lot to fly fishing that i dont know and that is where you guys and gals come in. i am going on my first Atlantic Salmon trip in a few weeks, or maybe sooner. really looking forward to that so i am in need of some tips. i hope to enjoy this site, share a few laughs :Eyecrazy: and learn something knew and maybe meet someone from my area that is into the same great outdoor sport of fishing.
cya around, and hello from NB Canada. :)

nate

#2 ·
Nate,

Hi and welcome ... I'm new to this neighbourhood too, but feel really welcome.

NB is pretty big, what rivers are you near ??

Salmon soon !! Lucky dawg. ;) ... Over here, we won't be opening 'til June :(

Man, you got hooked on Brookies, ... wait 'til you connect to our friens Salmo salar !!! Say good bye to the wife/girlfriend 'n familly until October :p (or better still, take them with you.

#3 ·
I'll add my welcome as well and a suggestion that you make this same post on the Atlantic Salmon discussion area, which is where the salmon fishers tend to look and post. Posting it there should provide you with much solid info from those who fish for atlantics all the time.

The one thing I will advise you is to make sure you have an 8 or 9 wt rod for salmon because some of them are rather beastly in size, especially when compared to the brook trout you have caught on a fly.

#4 ·
fcch, hey thanks for the welcome. i live in fredericton which is right on the st john river. a great river for small mouth bass and chain pickeral. there have even been some accounts of musky in our waters the past few yrs. still waitting for my first encounter.

Only 1 hr drive and i can be sitting on the shores of the miramichi river which from what i have heard is one of the best on the east coast for atlantic salmon. I fly fished the Cains river last year for brookies which runs into the miramichi and this year i will be fishing on some crown waters that have many 1 and 2 pound trout. the cains along with the miramichi is fly only so not being a fly fisher i was unable to fish these rivers.

what waters do you fish? i am familiar with Montreal area and quebec city, i have drove through there on many occasions. where would your waters be in relation to that? i have also heard great things about fishing in quebec.

cheers nate

#5 ·
thanks for the info and the directions. When i purchased my rod last year i was told i should get a 7 - 8 wieght rod and 8 1/2 ' legnth because i wanted something that i could fish for salmon and trout. obviously not something too heavey but yet light. If i find that i need a larger salmon rod i will get one for sure.

i will go check out the Atlantic Salmon Discussion area, thanks again.

nate

flytyer said:
I'll add my welcome as well and a suggestion that you make this same post on the Atlantic Salmon discussion area, which is where the salmon fishers tend to look and post. Posting it there should provide you with much solid info from those who fish for atlantics all the time.

The one thing I will advise you is to make sure you have an 8 or 9 wt rod for salmon because some of them are rather beastly in size, especially when compared to the brook trout you have caught on a fly.

#9 ·
Nate,

...the miramichi river which from what i have heard is one of the best on the east coast for atlantic salmon. ...
IMHO, The Mir is one of the best Salmo salar rivers on the PLANET ('cept that it is in the wrong Province ;) . I've never fished it, but have stopped on many occassions to drool.

My home waters are on th Ste-Marguerite in the Saguenay region of Quebec.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/homewaters/RvSteMarguerite.html

#10 ·
chris,

i checked out the link to your site. very interesting, and makes me want to head up your way for some sea run trout. who knows, maybe someday but i will see how i make out on the mir this spring. the season opened today, cant wait to get out. i will let u know how i make out.

nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.