Fly Fishing Forum banner

12" herring!

10K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Gseries69 
#1 ·
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Electrical wiring
My first use of bug bond ,in place of epoxy,this is a pattern I've been having great success with over the years on the cape cod canal .Me likey bug bond.:hihi:

See less See more
#2 ·
Paul
Nice tie (despite our differences on color/perception) :razz: That fly will surely catch!

I have done a similiar tie w/ kinky fiber synthetic. I tie in a spreader head with EZ body and bond (CCG) the kinky fiber to it. Eyes too.
John Morin started this type of technique on his "Featherbrain" ties and Jeff Smith on his "Buffy". Works for herring/bunker/mackeral patterns.
Really keeps the weight down. Also keeps the fly profile deep w/o collapsing.

I'll try to post up an example.

#3 ·
Awesome tie.

In addition to Jim's note about the spreader, Page Roger's use of a gill plate in her Bigeye Baitfish pattern keeps the body deep, adds action and after watching feeding bunker and anchovies I noticed they flare out their gills wide like tadpoles when feeding. Might be a nice variation.

#5 ·
BigDave ;all yak hair with a slim strip of bearsden yak flash n blend between the white belly section and grey back.Juro funny :chuckle: you should mention gills,My first ties of this pattern had flaired gills ,I used adhesive backed foil tape,I am currently tying up a mackerel pattern that will have gill plates.I hope to post by the weekend.:hihi:

#10 ·
ok I wont be selfish - if I can't find a way to squirm out of work I will plan to do some spey thing maybe on Big Girl Bar during the clave weekend.

Also, my mother returns from Tokyo Monday morning so I will be returning to Boston Sunday night hell or high water. She has been through both, and despite pleas from her children to use the escape clause to her home in Boston she voluntarily stayed with her siblings and relatives rather than bail on them. It's the Japanese way.

I'll drive down after work Friday (bring my stuff to work), attend Sat and Sun. Really looking forward to some "real" fishing and putting the nails into the coffin for winter 2010-2011.

#11 ·
Friday and Saturday.

Juro Friday and or Saturday,Ill be there both days,Friday is the official clave 2 hand kick off,Saturday is optional to all and any that are interested.There are only 3 places I will fish this time of year that I can pretty much expect action,the canal is one the other two,:tsk_tsk: ah you almost had me.:chuckle: Jim The Canal is big fly territory,it calls for heavy artillery,and heavy grain armements,15' 10wt throwing a 700-750 grain skagit with various length sinking tips. I'm currently on the look out for a 11/12 wt meat stick,to maybe help over come the up to 6 knot current one can be fighting against on certain moon tides.:whoa:

#12 ·
Jim Miller said:
dull or colorful flies???? :tsk_tsk: :confused: (we are going to fun with this topic!.....all in good fun! :biggrin: )
Jim I may want to borrow one of your neon rainbow clown coloring flies,I'll use it as an indicator over my natural almost real herring.:chuckle: :hihi: :razz: :D :smokin: :tsk_tsk: :smile:

#16 ·
Steve
depending on fly size....take a medium to large piece of EZ BODY, corsair or similiar tubing and slide a 2" long piece over the fly shank. Secure at the eye end. fold the tubing back over itself and tie in at first tie point. you can pull and push this folded section to gain the profile you want. tie in material in front of spreader. Can be kinky fiber, yak, fox, goat, feathers etc. you can spread GOOP or CCG on the tubing face. Pull back and seat the materials in to the Goop or CCG. Form a thin transparent veil going backward to form the body. Trim as required. If CCG ....hit it with the UV light. If goop...just let it dry. Secure eyes with goop or CCG.

#18 ·
PEC54 said:
... calls for heavy artillery,and heavy grain armements,15' 10wt throwing a 700-750 grain skagit with various length sinking tips. I'm currently on the look out for a 11/12 wt meat stick, .....
I have a Loop Opti Zpey 13' 9/10 which I don't use much and needs a good home. It throws any 700+ and up skagit head with 100gr+ tips like a B17 Fortress on a mission and is truly a beast of a rod, should I bring it for you to try out? At the risk of getting sink tips stuck in the far bank rip rap?

This is way more rod than I normally have a use for these days on normal waters, and hate to have it just sitting here in the corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.