Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout fly swap?

6K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  Brad 
#1 ·
Is anyone interested in a trout fly swap?

#5 ·
Hawkeye, The simplest flies are the best IMHO.

juro (11-06-2001 10:48 a.m.):
Count me in!

How many?
One pattern or various patterns?
Wet, dry or streamer?
Extra fly for the swapmeister (tradition)
Since I started the topic I'll volunter as the meister. I was thinking that we could do it like the striper fly swaps and tie six then mix and match. It doesn't matter to me if they are wet's dry's or streamers.

#8 ·
Dble Haul (11-06-2001 11:21 a.m.):
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say to tie six flies for mix and match, do you mean to tie six of the same pattern that will be distributed among everyone, or six different patterns?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Mark
How the swap works is that you submit six flies of your choice and receive six back. They can be six of the same pattern or six different patterns, although six of the same pattern is easier to photograph.
I am assuming that we will get more than six people. That being the case, the flies you get back will be a random mix of the flies tied by the other tiers.

I hope this helps clear up the "mix and match " question.

Juro, I should be able to handle the pictures without a problem. I just need to know the file formats, image sizes, etc you would like them in.

#12 ·
DFix (11-07-2001 12:59 p.m.):
hook size max/min??? wet/dry/streamer ??? (don't know what you guys like)
Dave, to me at least, it doesn't matter what size or type if it catches fish.

How does mid February sound to everyone as a date to get the flys done by? I'll send an e-mail to everyone with my shipping info, etc in a couple of days.

#17 · (Edited)
John, its about time I signed up for one of these things. Put my name in the hat. I will do six* traditionals - not sure which pattern yet (Silver Invicta maybe), gotta dig through some very old materials and see whats still viable;) Mid Feb sounds like a very doable delivery date.

* Plus something for the meister of course!!!

#19 ·
Well, I dusted off the trout fly tying chest this past week-end and found a small pack of genuine seals fur. Must be 20 years old at least!

Six + 1 Invictas, size 12, mailed this afternoon.

I wont say how many got scrapped before my fingers got used to handling something smaller than a size 8 hook. ;)

#21 · (Edited)
Update

Hi, I just wanted to update every one on the fly swap. This week flies arrived from Trout Bum (PT Rainbow slayer) and Adrian (Invicta). Both sets of flies look great. The current list of participants is below.

Hawkeye
Juro
Dbl Haul
Salt Ron
DFix
Troutbum
Brad
Adrian
Eddie
Pete aka Frenchcreek
Nate Bailey
and myself

If anyone else is interested, or hasn't received the instructions, post here or send me a message and I'll get the info out to you.

#25 ·
Dave, I'm sorry that I missed your post last night and didn't respond in a more timely manner.
I'm okay with six random, but I don't get the how if there are thirteen of us
Your flies will go to 6 people at random, while you'll get six back at random. I'm the randomizer in what you get back. If this doesn't answer the question please e-mail me.

#26 ·
I finally finished my swap flys and will be mailing them soon. What a shift in gears from saltwater tying. I SUCK even worse at FW flies. My apologies in advance but with the apology goes a promise that they will catch fish - at least they do for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.