Fly Fishing Forum banner

Intruder question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  speydoc 
#1 ·
I recently discovered the Intruder on this forum. It looks like a great fly. I know it goes against a lot of the convential wisdom on the great lakes but I think it will make a great fly on the bigger waters out here.

My question is on the technique. I found the article in Fish and Fly with the pattern, but on the forum I see a lot of intruders tyed in Flourescent colors. Especially the ones posted by Kush. On the variations are you continuing to use pheasant tail as the rear and front hackle ? Have people experimented with other feathers for hackling the intruder ?

Gillie

#2 ·
I used some gadwall flank and mallard flank for collars in various intruder /waddington shank type patterns I tied and used last fall in BC. Colored them with orange marking pens , and they worked fine in water that was a little off color. When the water is really clear,my personal experiience is that the flies are a bit large. I just fold and roll the gadwall feathers around the collar. Looks good and caught fish.

#3 ·
I also have used mallard, teal & gadwell in various dyed colours - dyed Lady Amherst centre & sides as well as Golden pheasant centres & sides can realy pep up this style of fly. rhea is the other feather that exells(dyed feathers can be given a barred effect with differant marker pens) - with all these material sparse is realy the way to go for maximal action
speydoc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.