Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing in Skye Scotland

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bluezulu 
#1 ·
Hi:

I am living in the UK for a few years and have been fishing in the Highlands and the West Coast of Scotland, as well as a few places in England. In August I will be on the Island of Skye for a week. Does anyone have any recomendations on freshwater (salmon/sea trout) or saltwater fishing places. We will be staying near Portree.

Thanks

Tom Murley

#2 ·
Well, I've caught a few fish on Skye, so I ought to answer your questions, even if the answer is that the prospects are less promising than they would have been twenty years ago.
The most famous fishing on Skye was the sea trout fishing of the Camasunarie and Coruisk systems, where sea trout up to 15 or 16 lb were caught in spectacular surroundings. This was one of the great sea trout fisheries in Scotland. The salmon farming industry seems to have pretty much destroyed the sea trout but you can still catch reasonable numbers of finnock and small sea trout in many of the small spate streams that run into the sea. After an extended period without rain you can catch them in the sea as well but remember you need a permit/permission to fish from the land owner, even in the sea.
There are a few salmon (mostly grilse but I once caught a 15lb salmon) in the bigger rivers: Brittle, Snizort etc. Rain is essential though (but rarely long in coming). There are some reputedly good trout lochs not too far from Portree, although I haven't fished them myself.
In the sea you will find saithe and lythe, and some years the mackerel come in close to shore and are good sport on light tackle.
Don't go to Skye for the fishing, but when the cloud comes down, the rivers come into spate and the sea trout start running, you will have some fun.

Mark

#3 ·
Mark -

Sounds like a fascinating place. It would be something to hook seatrout of that size on the Isle of Skye someday... a dream I would like to realize.

Farming of salmon has had a profound effect all over the globe. The rate of escape even in the pacific is tragic. Does the impact on Skye have to do with effluent, spawning habitat competition, or other side-effect of the aquaculture boom?

regards,
Juro

#4 ·
Hi Juro,
I keep dropping by once in a while to see how you are getting on.
There are two major problems: effluent causing deterioration in the ecosystems where the sea trout feed, and parasite (sea lice) population explosions causing direct mortality in migrating smolts when they reach the sea. Spawning competition is a worry for some salmon rivers.

Sadly, the aquaculture lobby, in spite of its spurious arguments about providing employment, continues to hold sway with the Scottish Parliament; so things won't be getting better in a hurry.

Best regards

Mark

You asked:
Farming of salmon has had a profound effect all over the globe. The rate of escape even in the pacific is tragic. Does the impact on Skye have to do with effluent, spawning habitat competition, or other side-effect of the aquaculture boom?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.