Fly Fishing Forum banner

Southeastern MA report - LMB, bluegill, etc.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post a report on the lake fishing I've done in the last few weeks. I've visited a couple of mud holes around here, Falls Pond and Lake Merrimichi (sp?). I've been fishing in the morning and cloudy days definitely are producing much better than sunny. In general though, there's not a lot of bass around and even the sunfish are getting kind of slow. I usually get 2 bass and a dozen sunfish each trip. The fish are mostly hitting on minnow imitation flies just under the surface, and due to the shallow water and weeds a fly I tie similar to a Dahlberg diver has been the # 1 fly for me. Unfortunately, I've lost most of the ones I tied this winter to lily pads, and a couple to big bass, so I need to tie up some more!

Falls Pond is relatively infertile with scattered weeds and one small spot with a lot of pads, which is of course where I spend the majority of my time. :) I've caught a few decent bass out of there in the last few weeks, one 18", one 16"+ and one 14". I also lost a couple of fish in the 16"- 18" range. It's been very slow though and last Sunday was the slowest day. The big fish on the day was an 11" bass.

Merrimichi has really gotten pretty weeded in, but there's some big fish in there. Paddling the float tube around get interesting when there's so many weeds, but when my father-in-law's available his canoe is just the ticket. I lost a 5+ lb bass a few weeks ago as I was about to lip it. I got him on a yellow bucktail streamer. Otherwise, I've mostly been using the Dahlberg-like fly to keep above the weeds. I've gotten a couple of fish in the 12-14" range each time I go out, but that's it.

My instructions for tying my Dahlberg variation will be posted in the fly tying section shortly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Scott, Nice write-up. I look forward to seeing your modified dahlberg pattern. I've played with a few myself. Pardon my noseyness but noticed your location and was wondering if you are a member of Cross Roads Anglers? ( I was a member back when local fishing legond, Armand Cruchane was president.) Havn't wet a line ( or spun a story) with Armand in a few years now. Man could he tie and fish a bass bug! Hope you had the opertunity to fish with him.

(p.s. I'm in Westport in EXTREEM SE Mass )

#5 ·
teflon_jones said:
. . . I lost a 5+ lb bass a few weeks ago as I was about to lip it. I got him on a yellow bucktail streamer. Otherwise, I've mostly been using the Dahlberg-like fly to keep above the weeds. . . .
Oh well, you were gonna let her go anyway, right :cool: ? Still, it's nice to get the big ones in hand so you can pull the salad off and get a good look and maybe a photo. Divers have been good to me this year also.

Great report!

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.