Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sand Papered Crab Apple

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  highway61 
#1 ·
JimD...as per our PM's, here is a Crab Apple with the use of medium sand paper as the carapace instead of the Pheasant feathers or partridge feather.

See less See more
#3 ·
Gary....You can use any type sandpaper...coarse or fine or in between , different shades of brown, etc. Just an alternative if you have no Pheasant feathers...also I put a good amount of epoxy but a thin coat will show the grains better, ...and a fine sandpaper in a shade of brown will copy the brown crab carapace perfectly. Using different shades will allow you to see what the shades of the real thing are in certain estuaries and the grass flats on north Monomoy.

#8 ·
Thank Pal....wish I could...I am here in Plymouth and just dropped Sally off at Logan to go to Naples for a Golf Tournament....maybe I can travel after I finish next year with putting my daughter though her last year in school....she is in Florence, Italy for the semester....By the way, If you are in Chatham next week, Penguin is tying at the same location where I tied......so........as in the movie "Blues Brothers"...I will volunteer to bring the chicken wire....

#9 ·
As a comparison, here are the usual Pheasant, partridge carapces...I had post these about 3 years ago. I think you could find as many varieties of sandpaper as you can for the usual carapaces to match various colors of the various little crabs

#13 ·
Just one other thing. I have always opted to use whatever I can find in nature as the carapace... and do not like using just colored foam or dotting stuff with a magic marker.... so I have also used Fall leaves, which are very durable under the epoxy or other sealant..I wish I had a few finished flies but used them up last season....I grabbed a few from outside... you will have a greater choice of natural shades in the fall as oppose to now....but as you can see from the photos... the texture and uneven colors are perfect.

#14 ·
The talent you guys have is incredible. The time and patience the tiers here at this forum have is astounding. Really the flies that Pete and John have been showing us are pure works of beauty and love. You can't make something that beautiful without the love of fly fishing and of mother nature herself.
Please keep them coming.
cheers
OC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.