Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Bonner’s Silver Shrimp

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jamey McLeod 
#1 ·
This fly is the invention of Paddy Bonner, a professional Fly tier from Northern Ireland. Bonner, a salmon fisherman of some notoriety in Ireland, has developed his own style of shrimp fly. His flies are generally small and spares, using treble and double hooks, genetic cock hackles that are usually smaller than normal, and he often uses only a single folded jungle cock nail for his wings. He is also noted for using floss bodies on many of his flies. His flies are generally designed for fishing low water and other difficult situations.

Hook: Small up eye double or treble salmon hook.
Tag: Oval silver tinsel.
Tail: Golden Pheasant red breast feather wound.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Rear Body: Flat silver tinsel.
Center Hackle: Orange cock
Front Body: Flat silver tinsel.
Wing: Jungle cock.
Front Hackle: Grizzly cock.
Head: Red

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Charlie,

This, along with many of the other Irish Shrimp flies, are also excellent steelhead flies here in the PNW, especially in the low water of late summer/early fall. I'm still surprised that very few PNW steelheaders seem to have even heard of this style of fly let alone tie or fish it.

#3 · (Edited)
Nice looking fly. I think I may whip a few up, but replace the Jungle Cock with 5-6 strands of natural Golden Pheasant saddle. Looks like a good pattern to be tied on 0.75in brass or copper tubes as it will cast nicely, but look bigger in the water. I don't mean to completely tear a classic pattern apart, but maybe another rump feather in place of the middle orange hackle also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.