Fly Fishing Forum banner

Close encounter at the Tub ...

4K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
... of the Canis Latrans kind!

Follwoing the epic shellfishing in near arctic conditions yesterday morning with Juro and encouraged by the fully developed cherry blosson at Harwich Commons, I decided the check out the tub last night at low tide.

I wasn't holding out too much hope but it did feel good to be back on the Cape holding a fly rod :smokin:

Just after 8:00 pm I decided to call it a day and as I was about to start the hike back across the dunes, I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. Padding along the shoreline was what I first took to be a large dog. It kept trotting along then stopped, turned in my direction and started coming towards me. There being no owner in sight I realized it was one of Monomoy's resident coyotes.

I figured a couple of quick flashes with my headlamp would spook it but no, it just kept coming. My next reaction was to charge at it making the most almighty racket. That did the trick. Or at least so I thought, as after running off about 20 yards it stopped, turned and started coming back. This time I really lost it. Anyone in the vicinity must have wondered what the hell was going on but, it being 38F, blowing 30mph and dark, I doubt there was anyone else dumb enough to be out there :roll:

After scarpering off a second time it melted away into the dark and I quickly made my way across the dunes, looking over my shoulder fairly frequently until I got back to the lighthouse side. Thankfully the widblown sand was firm underfoot which made for good progress.

I was about half way back to the stairs when off to my left, sonofabitch, there it was again! It didn't come too close but kept pace with me about 90 feet off. If I'd remembered the camera, I would probably have gotten a picture! I was almost back to the stairs when it finally disappeared back into the dunes.

All the time common sense was telling me that Coyotes are spooked by humans but the evidence last night suggests otherwise. Maybe someone has been leaving food out for it?

Anyway, next time I decide to fish the Tub after dark I will be carrying a better weapon than a fly rod.

One other footnote to this adventure: The Mass State Police seem to be extremely "enthusiastic" on Route 6 this year so, for those travelling up over the next few weeks, watch your speed :wink:

See less See more
#3 ·
Adrian...I will be carring something other than a flyrod if at night out there...like a 9mm Walther...a knife will not help especially if there are more than one. They seem to spook if near homes and roads as I have seen around my place but I had an incident many years ago where following, in areas where they are comfortable, became unnerving and , as far as I am concerned, unpredictible.

#4 ·
I plan on throwing a couple M-80s into the chest pack. They're completely waterproof (even the fuse) and will teach them a lesson without hurting them. My luck the matches will be wet :)

Yet another of many reasons why I love sight-fishing in the day.

#5 · (Edited)
I would not hurt them either...I would expect, as a m80, that a gun shot report in the sand between them and me will also make them run. But I expect to see more of them this year according to other reports... and they also run in packs...so I would want more than a firecracker...and you will want something quicker than , as you say, trying to fiddle with matches or even a lighter. I remember getting a lecture from, I think, MikeM, I forget his handle who stated that even a knife will probably noy be enough to protect you since, as dogs will do, charge at the wrist...if they see something. I was told to hold the knife behind you out of sight. Your reaction is to lift your arm on an attack to protect your neck....finally, one could be rabid....anyway...i also plan to do most of my fishing in daylight...but I will also be out before daylight early in the morning and that is also a very active time for them. I would never hurt them but I will not risk serious injury or worse.

#7 ·
Some type of audio device looks like a plan.

There are several ultra-sonic anti-dog-attack devices out there.

Anyone have any experience with them - Mailmen? Joggers?

#10 ·
One other thing worth mentioning and which Pete Gray can attest. Several years ago, scientist were wondering why the local one were getting so big...like the size of big German Sheppards, not the historic smaller scrawny one seen in the past. A DNA test was performed on one the victim of a road kill and it was determined that they were crosses into the wolf breed... Gray wolves to be exact.....which, as you know , are programmed to "stalk" more than the smaller full breed coyote...just a point of interest in this discussion. So I wonder about the probable success of so called noise devises . The odds are they will work but may not. A fog Horn is a good idea especially if you are caught on a flat... I carry one only at times I am planning on being on a flat. I don't bring it if the plan is to be just beach fishing.

#12 ·
John, that is interesting since the Coyote I saw appeared pretty large to me - German Shepherd size.

I didn't mention it previously as the dark can play tricks but it would also explain the "stalking" behavior.

#13 ·
The reason I will NOT take any chances...is that one of my experiences several years ago...about the time that the DNA test was done is that I was fishing near the point at the light house.... on the beach.... and all of a sudden I happen to look behind me and there is what appears to be a huge German shep... literally slinking down from the dune head toward me..... it was on its stomack...like a cat...crawling toward me... I almost peed in my pants and shouted , waving the rod, and pulled my waste knife.. It stopped...but did not move, just watching me.... so my only recourse was to move into the water.... with that current...up to my thighs.... and we watched each other...I started back wading all the way.... it stood up and walked back into the dunes.... I was exhausted wading back against the current to the stairs... I would have dove in if I had too....But I felt that I stood a chance in the water even if it dove in since I would have the upper hand in that case.... I don't plan on that again and I will not let a wild animal get close enough to me again to be able to get a shot of mace at it. Mace that might work on dogs but not hybrid wolves, who are hungry. There is also something about the danger of eye contact which I forget but will check out again...I think you are to maintain visability of it, but not direct eye contact as they see that as aggressive. A staring contest does no go and they freeze too but will not run. You then may have crossed the line....so get ready. Maintain visability and move away casually, not turning your back.

#14 ·
Little know fact: John always carries pork chops in his kit...

There's a bit of controversy regarding DNA evidence...
If the imposing "coyotes" are genetically deemed to be "wolves" they would fall under "endangered" species and "protected" status...
Federal sharpshooters and local agencies would be stymied...
So, the evidence is questioned and denied and the "predators" walk a fine line...
Welcome to the Phood Chain...

#15 · (Edited)
Right, but no one will make that claim since they want to rid them... and were doing it I think two years ago on Monomoy....But there is no question that they are not like the Coyotes of old. They are even a different color...not all brown but combo of gray and brown... by the way... charging them is a big mistake. That can provoke an attack. retreat is the best course...non aggresive behaviour is best even if you think showing your fearlessness is important.... they STILL know you are scared...so just move off casually...The more distance you put between you and them... The MORE you relax and this can be sensed by them. I have never heard of anyone charging a wild bear to scare them off, despite loud noices which do work on bears... it may not with these guys. Also, as was Adrians first reaction which is normal is to charge....show force...but that will not give you time to pull out whatever protective devises you have should that fail.. and they charge back. Your first thought would be to move away, get your stuff out you need, get it ready as you move off. If out in the middle of the dunes...move toward the water.... you can atleast jump in. One other thing... these things are VERY fast in close contact....

#17 ·
Federal property.

South beach, North and South Momomoy, are they not all part of the National Sea Shore? Which would put them in federal property, I would not carry a firearm in this area. A similar conversation was discussed on another web site concerning carrying firearms along the canal ,to deter muggings or other self protection reasons. Several law enforcement officers from local cops,state cops and federal posted saying it is illegal to carry a firearm of any sort on federal property,and not to be forgotten the fish cops will be getting you for hunting out of season.:hihi:

#18 ·
I was just kidding...I would never carry a firearm on federal property.:smokin: Also, Not sure of that jurisdiction since south Beach is the Town of Chatham and there are conflicting jurisdiction issues on that...I also think that hunting is allowed, in season....The US Supreme Court just reversed a decision by a lower court which did not allow carrying of firearms at a National Park. Can not remember the name of the Park... so I am not sure if what you say is the current law.

#19 ·
Blimey - this certainly adds a new dimension to night fishing. Is contact a regualr occurance? Can we hire a 9mm from someone??! I saw something down at Stage on the Hardings side last year in the evening, but it was much smaller - would this have been a jackal?

#20 ·
Rupe..That was Carlos The Jackal... a well know terrorist..the dirty dog!!!!.Thanks for the heads up...;) By the way...Just did a quick Google and the federal Law did indeed change effective february 22, 2010...firearms can not be prohibited in Federal Parks.....so aslong as you are complying with local and State laws....which a licensed person would be...it is ok..pending a further check. I have seen many laughing Hyenas at the Squire though.

#22 ·
Perhaps I missed this mentioned in a previous post but I read that there is a federal sharpshooter in residence on South Monomoy during the egg laying season. Coyotes were eating the the eggs and being shot for doing so. Now that the southway is closed I'll bet the population has increased ten fold. Cast all day.... shoot throughout the night and get paid along with a federal pension? Hummmmmm.....Do they eat seal pups?

Phil

#23 ·
Refuge vs Park

John- unfortunately, there is a distinction between National PARK and National Wildlife REFUGE that I think comes into play with regards to the whole firearms thing....the Monomoy area (I believe) is classified as a REFUGE, while the rest of the Cape Cod National Seashore would be classified as a PARK. Portions of the National Seashore area (namely, the Marconi Wildlife Management Area in Wellfleet) are designated as a state WMA that are open to hunting during the designated hunting seasons; areas of the National Seashore OUTSIDE the WMA (but EXCLUDING any areas designated as a REFUGE) might also be used for hunting within the designated seasons, but ALSO following whatever rules/regulations the park manager lays out (just to avoid hassles....otherwise it's off to court to fight the good fight....if you have the time and $$$$ to do so.....or write to your favorite hunter's rights group and have them lobby for you). In a nutshell, I think the "no firearms at Monomoy" rule still applies...you can always chat with the new refuge manager to find out....I'd be interested in his response.
Otherwise, I'll join Pete V in fending off the wild animals at the Squire:lildevl:
Flydoc

#24 ·
Thanks Doc, those are good points and I see the application of the hunting distinctions... however, The Sup Ct. decision applies to points raised under the 2nd amendment and I have not seen the decision and will look at it breath...but I think it applies to Federal "Lands" however they are distinguished by the Government and I expect to look at the decision> The case arose from an argument on the national parks but I think the decision cuts a wider swath and that would make sence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.