Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line Backing ?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I am upgrading my 8 and 10 wt saltwater reels from 8yr old Ross #3 saltwater models to new Danielsson LW 8twelve reels plus spare spools for different lines.
The lines are good so I am putting them on the new reels. The new reels hold more backing so I getting new 30lb+ backing.
I like thinner backing than Dacron but don't think I need super thin power pro type backing.

Any recommendations and comments on the different types available now would be appreciated, especially a chart with the different types/diameters.

#2 ·
You won't be disappointed with these reels.

I even fish the 6/nine for stripers but with gelspun in 50#. It's so thin the smaller reel holds miles of the stuff. This is my single hander setup for 7-9wt (bones to stripers). I go to the same reel 8/twelve for 10wt up or two-handers in 9/10wt. The 12wt two-hander gets the 9/thirteen.

If you want to hammer down the drag on these reels just follow the directions and use the included allen wrench. It's a one-time adjustment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.