Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rocky River

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JimT 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck on the Rocky River (Cleveland)? It's tough to fight the crowd and hit the right conditions (i.e. water clarity, ice / slush, flow level). There are a lot of spin guys out there catching fish, but I was wondering if anyone is having luck this time of year with a fly. I'm new to the river (and to some extent steelhead fishing), so I'm not too upset with getting skunked a couple of times (there I said it!). Any feedback would be appreciated.

t-will

#4 ·
TW

Suckers have begun to enter the Rocky (and other rivers) so you might want to try using a Sucker Spawn fly. Egg patterns, woolly buggers, and small nymphs are also being used. You need to get down near the bottom so split shot, slinky, sink tips, etc. as well as an indicator (bobber) are being used.

The meat guys are usually on the river early (dawn) so going in the afternoon you might see smaller crowds. Be prepared, the fair weather fisherman have not been out yet, so if you think it's crowded now, wait until the weather improves. Also, there are not a lot of fish in the river yet, so when the run starts that will bring out more guys. The Rocky is getting to look like any PA stream with the crowds.

Learn to read the cliffs and bank structure, these give you a good indication of where the holes are. Contrary to popular theory, (at least on the Rocky) the fish are not always in the fast water. Since most of the Rocky is in a public park there are no secert holes, just walk it and you'll see where guys are fishing. You need to explore and find your space.

If I can help let me know.

Jim T

#5 ·
Jim,

Thanks for the response. I've tried alot of what you suggest, but I haven't spent enough time on the water to really expect too much success. Do you fish the Rocky much? It's definately no secret. I was thinking of maybe trying the Vermillion. I was even thinking about maybe getting a guide. Do you have any recommendations?

t-will

#6 ·
Like has already been said, the rocky can be difficult to find not crowded. That is agood river to fish in nasty weather, during the week or in the afternoons after the major crowds have left. I only fish it a few times a year because of its popularity and easy access. You mentioned the vermilion river, thats where i fish most. The river doesn't have the crowds of the rocky minly because of two things,1) being no where near as many fish and 2) the access isn't quite as easy..ie park-walk 15 feet- fish. The river can provide some very nice days on the water. If you are interested in a gudie I can get you some info on a really nice group of guys to get out with. Not trying to deter you from that but if you already have the skill, just wait for more consistant weather patterns and they will come fairly easy for you.
Right now the only thing I have been fishing has been egg patterns under an indicator. Pink has been a hot color this year so far. With the cold water you want it near the bottom.

Pm me if you would like the guide info.

Jeff

#7 ·
T-W

Yes I have have fished the Rocky alot, 30 - 35 years. Your mak'in me feel old!!

Time on the water does equal hook-ups, so the more time on the water the better your odds are.

I don't know much about the "V" so I can't comment.

If you want to hire a guide I think that is a good idea. These guys are on the water almost daily and you will learn more in one day than a year's worth of experimenting.

My schedule has limited my fishing lately but if you want to hook-up on the Rocky some weekend shot me a PM and we'll see what we can work out. I can also get the name a guide or two if you want to go that way.

Our fall and winter runs have been very limited but most guys are expecting big things once the weather breaks. This is the time to scout the spots you want to fish.

Jim T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.