Fly Fishing Forum banner

Housatonic Report

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
It must be an age thing but I am thinking 8:30 p.m. for a 7:40 low in Bridgeport which would be fine for the Housy if I was on the water - rather than just leaving the house! :rolleyes:

Eventually got the yak afloat at 9:45 and the tide was running strong. Made it as far as the ligghted boat dock but there were a pair of yo-yos fishing from it - the cheek of it - and they were catching schoolies to boot!

Paddled a bit further and got amongst huge schools of bunker doing their thing. The occaisional ripping sound betrayed the presence of larger fish but I couldn't get any interest except for one small which I dropped at the boat and then snagged a bunker which I also dropped!

Guys fishing bait down deep were connecting with keepers!

#2 ·
Adrian it sounds exciting if not productive! By your comments it sounds like the bunker were large, is this the case? These guys are headed up the coast and we should see them up around Rhody, the Cape and Boston Harbor eventually.

I know of one shot of adult bunker up inside the South Beach tub in June this season only. I have not yet seen the swarms of small bunker where I have been fishing.

Time for a big slab sider fly!

#3 ·
Thanks for the report

I'm about ready to make another drive to the salt and I've been debating about where to go. Was thinking about trying the mouth of the Housy after dark or pre-dawn, or maybe even do an all-nighter, but wondered if it would be worth the drive (and loss of sleep). Sounds like it might be an option.

Hmm . . .

Decisions, decisions . . .

#4 ·
The bunker have been around for several weeks and some of them are a fair size. There are also large pods of smaller fish and huge schools of what looks like immature silversides. Add to that sporadic crab and worm hatches and its easy to see why the fish are hanging around, but, it is very much an after dark / before dawn affair right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.